Losing one lot of secret papers wasn't enough,

Forum Editor 23:05 14 Jun 08

so the government has done it again.

click here

and someone has reached into his desk drawer for his copy of 'Statements to make when you've done something unbelievably stupid' and come up with:

"We are extremely concerned about what has happened and we will be taking steps to ensure that it doesn't happen in the future."

Earthsea 23:26 14 Jun 08

Words fail me. I watched this on the news and had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Spark6 23:27 14 Jun 08

Too many people/employees/civil servants, on the face of it, appear to have uncontrolled access to sensitive information.

Is it just me, or do others agree, that what is happening is more than carelessness, but downright negligence or even treason!

Earthsea 23:36 14 Jun 08

I've wondered if it's being done on purpose. It's becoming increasingly difficult to believe that it's all down to incompetence (taking into account the lost CDs farce).

LastChip 23:38 14 Jun 08

"We are extremely concerned about what has happened and we will be taking steps to ensure that it doesn't happen in the future."

Forgive me for being just a wee bit sceptical, but I seem to have heard that one before.

If you recall FE, you and I had a rather passionate debate on the issue of ID cards; you being rather "for" and me definitely "against".

Perhaps it now becomes clearer why I wouldn't trust the government to hold centralised data (though arguably they're getting it through the back door anyway). They have now proven on a number of occasions, they can't even keep secure what they've got!

Kemistri 23:45 14 Jun 08

It might be a good idea if intelligence staff travel in pairs from now on so that they can keep an eye on each other, and public transport will have to be out of bounds. When winter comes round, maybe they'll have to have their gloves sewn into their coats as well.....

Blackhat 23:48 14 Jun 08

If any of you have read ‘Spycatcher’ by Peter Wright you will be aware of the comings and goings of secret documents from MI5/MI6 in the past. If you haven’t read it I would seriously recommend it.

This all sounds like either total incompetence on a major scale or someone is deliberately trying to undermine the government from an outside influence.

Is it a case of we are only hearing about this sort of thing now but is has always being happening or is it a recent thing due to recruitment of unsuitable employees?

I recall MI5 launching a new recruitment drive a while ago, good opportunity for infiltration if you wanted to get in and stir it a bit! Or do we have a bunch of amateurs?

Forum Editor 23:49 14 Jun 08

is how this kind of thing happens twice.

I try to picture myself as the Prime Minister receiving news that someone has left some highly confidential files on a train, or in a parked car, or wherever. I'm shocked and angry, and I realise that this is a time for immediate action.

I issue a directive that no Top Secret documents are to leave a government building, for any reason whatsoever, no matter how senior the person carrying them is, until further notice. I issue a further order that no government department is to move any confidential data about UK citizens between one building and another by any means, until further notice.

That gives me a breathing and thinking space, and allows me to gather together senior colleagues and advisers to formulate a short-term, emergency policy regarding the movement of Top Secret government information.

Later on I would gather the same people together and formulate a long-term policy.

It all seems so simple, and so obvious, and yet it seems it hasn't been done. Within the past year we have seen several "we will be taking steps to ensure that it doesn't happen in the future." staements, and a few "there are lessons to be learnt from this" ones as well.

carver 23:49 14 Jun 08

We are extremely concerned about what has happened and we will be taking steps to ensure that it doesn't happen in the future."

What this means in plain English is, from now on we will use taxis and leave the documents in them.

FE do you still trust them to keep any information about your life safe if they ever do manage to get ID cards made compulsory.

barca1 23:54 14 Jun 08

i cant think WHY but there is a MAJOR coincidence here & if you all notice its the same as the "Lost Cd's" one day it was one then it happend multiple amounts of times...Something REALY smells here & i cant put my finger on it!!

rdave13 23:58 14 Jun 08

Agree. Something is going on to undermine the Government. Too many coincidences for it to appear as 'normal' mistakes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac