Loran making a comeback

octal 21:57 19 Jun 08

At last they have acknowledged the venerability of the GPS system click here for years governments have been warned to the susceptibility of satellite systems, well it looks like someone has woken up to that fact and is looking into using the old Loran navigation system click here I remember the old Loran-C and the Old Decca Hi-fix system in coastal waters and how accurate it was, both these systems were very robust being immune from interference. The old Loran-C used to cover most of the northern hemisphere on 1950KHz which closed down in the seventies sometime.

wiz-king 05:58 20 Jun 08

Noisy things, I hope that a modern version will make less noise on the HF bands!

Chegs ®™ 07:15 20 Jun 08

...aimed at drivers worried their cars have been fitted with tracking devices...

Yeah right!

Q: Why would any driver be worried about tracking devices on the car they were driving?

A: Because its not their car,they nicked it and dont want the police catching them.

laurie53 09:52 20 Jun 08

Seem to recall it was pretty buggy.

I was forever having to swap weapon loads because "the Loran's gone down".

Cymro. 10:55 20 Jun 08

I believe that an affective tracking device fitted to every car by the manufacture would make car theft much more difficult.

But then we would have people complaining about "Big brother" and such like.

interzone55 11:53 20 Jun 08

The current system is far more vulnerable to being switch off that it is to jamming.

Seeing as all the satellites belong to the US there is always the danger that they will switch off civilian access to give the military priority.

During Desert Storm all the satellites were switched off without warning and a lot of US farmers found their harvesters went out of control as their GPS systems suddenly stopped working.

Clinton signed an agreement to say that the satellite constellation would always be open to civilians, but when have the US government (or ours) ever stuck to their word.

The sooner the Galileo system is up & running the better. Mind you, once that system is up & running the Government will be free to start more road charging trials, as the system will be accurate enough to determine which lane a car is driving in.

jack 12:05 20 Jun 08

I've got my 1990 AA UK atlas
and my 1975 Hard Back Leather bound London A to Z
and 2001 A to Z Comb bound Kent A to Z

Sat Nav - Not Bovvered.

Cymro. 12:22 20 Jun 08

My too and living as I do in a rural area with plenty of little side roads I am probably better off without SatNav.

Brumas 12:47 20 Jun 08

You and me both - only I do not need the London & Kent road atlases :o)
With my current Philips EasyRead two and a third miles to the inch road atlas of Britain I am confident I could navigate anywhere in mainland Britain.

amonra 20:58 20 Jun 08

I used to live near a Loran site in my youth and all I remember is the interference currents it generated in rusty barbed-wire fences, causing havoc to radio and TV for miles around. You could also get a fluorescent tube to glow at night. Happy days..............

DANZIG 21:34 20 Jun 08

Gotta agree with you.

I will never get a sat' nav' for my car.

Why?

A while back there was talk of 'the man' putting little black boxes in our cars to track where we go, what time we go there and how long we spend there.

There was obviously uproar, and rightly so, and so this decision was, to all appearances, shelved.

But now people actually PAY to have a tracking system put in their car!!!!!

As was said earlier, I'd rather pay a few quid a year to get a roadmap - I believe the AA are rather good...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now