Looking for some car recommendations

WhiteTruckMan 22:09 26 Mar 09

Hi All.

No. 1 daughters car has died and rather than throw money at it to fix it, she has decided on a change. Looking for ideas, but here are the criteria:

Engine-sub 1.4L for tax reasons. Not bothered whether petrol or diesel, but not a gas guzzler

Manual transmission

5 doors. Must have a boot large enough to accomodate shopping, fair sized pram plus all the stuff that accompanies newest grandson (possibly mentioned in another thread)

Insurance group no higher than 6.

She has a budget of £3k, but another £1k might be forthcoming for the right car.

Please note that I am not looking to buy a car from a member, I am merely looking for model suggestions that fit the above criteria.

Ideas, anyone?

WTM

Kev.Ifty 22:20 26 Mar 09

You could try Auto Trader

click here

WhiteTruckMan 22:24 26 Mar 09

It seems you've missed the point of my post. I'm looking for model suggestions, not where I could buy one. I fully intent to trawl the autotrader website, once I have some suggestions what to trawl for, if you get my meaning.

WTM

Kev.Ifty 22:43 26 Mar 09

OK! when you have your model suggestion. (Ford Fiesta)

Try Auto Trader. it has filters for price models and what ever..

Stuartli 22:54 26 Mar 09

Have a look at a four or five year old Fiat Panda (1.1 engine available), which will cost between £2k and £4k.

Before anyone starts the old myth that Fiats rust etc, those days were many years ago - small Fiats are great fun, well packaged and with satisfactory build quality.

Here's some road tests of 2004 onwards Pandas:

click here

click here

click here

Diesel version:

click here

WhiteTruckMan 23:04 26 Mar 09

Actually, we have an 08 panda diesel bought new last year as a present for Mrs WTM, and well pleased and impressed with it she is too! Unfortunately, it has been rejected by daughter for insufficient boot space.

Jim Thing 23:44 26 Mar 09

Have a look at the Toyota Yaris (the original model, not the current one, which is well outside your daughter's budget). Carting the pram around may be a problem — although the 60/40 split back seat may help there — and Toyota reliability is hard to beat.

I'm currently on my second one, and can testify that, while the 1.0 litre version is a bit of a gutless wonder, my current 1.3 is surprisingly nippy and shows signs of outlasting its owner. There's also a great wee diesel that I once drove for half a day as a courtesy car.

always had big cars, my pop was a ford main dealer all his working life, against everyone's advice i bought a 1.4 renault megane (non scenic), and im loving it, build quality is streets ahead of what it used to be, very quiet nippy you can pick them up very cheap.
second hand cars as im sure you're aware is a complete minefield and there's loads of luck involved despite all recomendations. so good luck!

Quickbeam 00:26 27 Mar 09
  Kevscar1 03:55 27 Mar 09

Bought the wife a KIA CEED last year. She loves it seats 5 plenty of boot space and 7 yr warrenty.

wiz-king 05:50 27 Mar 09

A car by many names click here we have had one for several years, Sounds a little strange but you soon get used to only having three cylinders! With the back seats folded down you can get six bales of hay in the back - should you need to of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now