Look out smokers, Big Brother is coming....

realist 16:24 15 Feb 07

...(the Orwellian version that is) on 1 July

click here

OK, I'm anti-smoking but this does look to me like overkill and a downright waste of resources which could be put to better use fighting "real" crime and disorder elsewhere.

The Brigadier 16:27 15 Feb 07

It's a disgusting habit that kills thousands a year.
So whats the complaint about?

Jackcoms 16:29 15 Feb 07

Taken from the same report:

"But neither outdoor space nor private homes will be affected".

That's bloody good of them - allowing me to smoke (if I so choose) in my own home.

lisa02 16:37 15 Feb 07

I can't wait for the ban to come in this April in Northern Ireland.

They are training the officials and empowering them to hand out the fines, rather than use the Police. This means the Police will be free to do their usual work...

Totally-braindead 16:37 15 Feb 07

We've had it here in Scotland for a while now. I'm a smoker and miss my cigarette with my pint but thats the law now.
We've had these smoking council employees for a while as well. Complete and utter waste of time.
They aren't needed. Its the publicans who have to enforce it.
Its the publicans who will get the biggest fine and who will get reported to the licencing board and who might have their licence revoked. They have to enforce it or risk losing their livelyhood.
These people are just a waste of space. I've never even seen any of them. I don't know how many there are here or what they get paid but whatever it is its too much.
I only know we have them as the 2 bar owners I know have both mentioned they met them. Once for about 5 minutes and that was it. Never seen them again. And it was different people they met so theres at least 4 of them as they travel in pairs.
It would be better to get rid of them and spend the money on a couple of extra PCs.

Jackcoms 16:38 15 Feb 07

"This means the Police will be free to do their usual work..."

What?

Sitting in police stations completing paperwork?

anskyber 16:42 15 Feb 07

It's the law and a very good law designed to protect people from passive smoking.

We read on threads here that there is not enough done to enforce laws in this country......not enough that is unless an individual disagrees with the law then it's deemed to be unacceptable.

Totally-braindead 16:42 15 Feb 07

lisa02 if England has the same experience as Scotland then these wardens or whatever they are called are not needed. Its a complete waste of money. The Police are not needed either.
See my points above. Its the publicans who enforce it, they have no choice but to enforce it. If they don't enforce it or complaints are made then when they go to the licensing board they will lose their licence.

Totally-braindead 19:18 15 Feb 07

fourm member I disagree. I think the reason it has worked in Scotland is that we go to pubs we like, with owners we like and it has been explained to us that if we get caught we get a small fine but the publicans get a larger fine. And they have to prove to the licencing board when their licence is up for renewal that they did all in their power to stop people smoking on the premises, if they don't give a good enough explanation their licence might not be renewed.
So we don't smoke because we like our publicans and do not wish to cause them trouble and lose our favourite pubs. Plus you can get banned and lose the pub access that way. I don't know if the rules in England are exactly the same as Scotland but here you can get refused service, no reason has to be given and if you don't leave the publican can if he wishes call the Police to have you removed. You can also be banned and no reason has to be given.
Since it came in I have seen no one flouting the ban. We all accept it, albeit with a good bit of moaning. Every other night we have a good moan when we're standing outside in the freezing cold or with the rain coming down.
I don't know if England will be the same but regarding the smoking wardens up here I don't know what they do or where they go as no one I know has seen any of them since the week the ban was introduced.
So in the case of Scotland it has been a complete waste of money employing them in the first place. At least if they'd employed a couple more Police we would have got something for our money.

laurie53 19:22 15 Feb 07

Not just Scottish publicans, but Scottish restaurant/cafe owners, shopping mall managers, bus drivers (coaches), bingo halls, and taxi drivers (even if it's your own car, not being used as a taxi at the time).

Despite the prophets of doom, it is policed by the public themselves. I forget how many people have been fined in the first twelve months, but I should think it is less than a dozen or so. As to the number of enforcers, just a few to each LA, gain probably a couple of dozen in all. Of course, we don't have £29m to chuck around up here. Any spare cash we tend to use to do away with top up fees, or on free care for the elderly!

Just in case you think it's likely to be a bigger problem in England, bear in mind that the folks of Govan liked the odd fag with their pint too!

Laurie

Jak_1 20:30 15 Feb 07

Manchester is talking of setting up a hotline so the public can report friends, relations and colleages who violate the new law. But then Manchester always did have a council that is reminiscent of the old KGB!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…