London Walks

Zero G 19:46 23 Mar 07

I'm looking to do something different this year for my birthday & thought of doing one of these London walks with a real guide doing it.

Anyone been on one & which is the best company to go with.
Group size would probably be 15+

Kate B 19:49 23 Mar 07

What a nice idea. No recommendations for companies but have a look at this site click here - written and maintained by a journalist friend of mine.

Which area of London were you thinking of doing the walk in?

Zero G 20:00 23 Mar 07

An area were pubs are near by;)

Kate B 20:02 23 Mar 07

Ha! OK, think about the south bank of the river - Southwark to Bermondsey. You pass the Globe, Tate Modern, Vinopolis and several pubs which range from a bit touristy (the Anchor) to extremely nice (the George).

georgemac © 20:09 23 Mar 07

Only been to London twice, both times in the last few years, I loved walking in the parks and along the river taking in all the tourist attractions. Never tried the pubs though, except for one on Kensington High Street, only place I have seen champagne being scoffed on a Friday afternoon in a bar!

sunny staines 20:34 23 Mar 07

If your fit for good walk. start at tower of london, walk though city of london to the strand then via trafalgar sq to west end. have lunch. up regents st-oxford st to hyde pk, serpentine, kensington gardens. evening meal in kensington.

or from west end go green park, buckingham palace, knightsbrige [visit harrods] sloane st, kings rd, chelsea. options are endless there is so much in london. get a few books from your library and plan the locations you wolud like to visit more fun than organised trips plus cheaper.

Kate B 20:59 23 Mar 07

Don't visit Harrods. It's overpriced and full of tourists. If you must do a department store, Harvey Nicks is fabulous and so is Selfridges.

If you're thinking of an evening meal in Kensington, go slightly further west to Holland Park and go to Julie's in Portland Road click here - which is terrific.

Jackcoms 21:09 23 Mar 07

The best advice for walking in London is to walk into the nearest Wetherspoons pub.

Sort yourself out with a table.

Walk to the bar.

Sort yourself out with a beer.

Possibly even purchase some food as well.

Walk back to the aforementioned table to consume the beer and food.

Walk back to the bar whenever your beer glass is empty, remembering to replenish said glass with beer each time you arrive at the bar.

Walk back to table and repeat.

georgemac © 22:16 23 Mar 07

Harrods may be full of tourists - this included me - the food hall was fantastic and we bought a picnic lunch here and had it in Kensington Gardens on a lovely spring day, and I enjoyed just seeing Harrods, and we did buy some stuff as well!

I was in a Wetherspoons in Glasgow on Sunday night and the food was cheap but truly unforgettable - the beer was OK though.

On our second visit to London, I started to get my bearings and realise that everything was not miles apart - which is the impression you get if you use the tube all the time - the walks described by sunny staines are excellent - from a tourist point of view anyway!

Forum Editor 22:19 23 Mar 07

but one that is best done in stages is the Thames Path National Trail. It starts at the source of the river in the Cotswolds, and ends at the Thames Barrier.

click here

I used to be on the Press list at the Thames Barrier, and often went to see the test raisings. It's an impressive sight, and there's an excellent visitor centre there.

Kate B 22:31 23 Mar 07

I'd add Hampstead to the list. I think there are quite a few walks around that lovely part of London - a friend of mine used to own a cottage that Constable had spent a summer in and he often had groups of walkers outside his gate. There are some lovely houses and nice pubs and it's a bit off the usual tourist beaten track.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…