The London effect, is Cable correct?

spider9 08:57 19 Dec 13
  Quickbeam 10:03 19 Dec 13

That reasoning makes a good argument for the expansion of Birmingham and Manchester airports in conjunction with HS2 to compliment the regionalisation of international business and transport hubs.

spuds 11:18 19 Dec 13

At times I find it really hard to understand where Cable is coming from, but on this occasion I whole heartily agree with him.

All to often it appears that the South and especially the London area favours the rest of the country in many things. Spread it around more, and perhaps the rest of the population might feel less aggrieved, when these things are mentioned !.

HondaMan 15:24 19 Dec 13

Of course he is!

spider9 15:40 19 Dec 13

He will certainly be quoted by the SNP as yet further reason for Scotland to go it alone.

In my talking with local Scots, I certainly get the impression it's not a Scotland/England divide, more of a Scotland/London one.

fourm member 18:13 19 Dec 13

Wow, talk about mountains and molehills.

I listened to the clip on that link and Cable's comment was very offhand. Even John Humphreys didn't bother to pick up on it.

Big cities attract and big cities that are capitals attract even more.

In some countries, they've purpose built new capitals to try and divert the flow away from the biggest city but all that does is create a secondary source of suction.

Aitchbee 18:34 19 Dec 13

" ... but all that does is create a secondary source of suction. "

Wouldn't that be a good thing for the whole country?

fourm member 19:09 19 Dec 13

'Wouldn't that be a good thing for the whole country?'

No. It might be a good thing for the area around the new capital. Would a new capital based on Newcastle do anything for Exeter or Stoke?

Aitchbee 19:41 19 Dec 13

" It might be a good thing for the area around the new capital. Would a new capital based on Newcastle do anything for Exeter or Stoke? "

Perhaps not as far as Exeter is concerned but towns north of the 'Watford Gap' might see a welcome improvement in their 'bite' of the overall piece of the action/cake.

spider9 19:45 19 Dec 13

"Would a new capital based on Newcastle do anything for Exeter or Stoke?"

But surely that argument would mean that ALL economic activity would be best placed in one, capital, location (ie London).

Follow that to its logical conclusion and there would be precious little anywhere but the Capital.

Aitchbee 19:51 19 Dec 13

spider9 - Glasgow bucks that trend [in Scotland] :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…