Locking old threads

simonjary 03 Oct 11
Answered

In a further bid to make these forums less prone to spam bot attack we're going to look at locking older threads.

Currently a spam bot can reactivate an old thread, which pushes it to the top of that forum list, where it becomes live again despite its age and resolved status.

Also, old threads in forums such as Consumerwatch sometimes get hijacked, rather than new threads being opened for new problems.

Locking older threads should stop that.

Regards,

Simon Publisher, PC Advisor

Covergirl 03 Oct 11

Excellent idea and not before time.

Personally I would opt for a shorter timeout (say a few weeks since last post to that thread) rather than being generous with a longer period.

However, the decision (as they say) is yours!!

lotvic 03 Oct 11

Darned good idea, hope it won't be long before it's in action.

buteman 03 Oct 11

simonjary

Locking older threads.

Will that be any thread not replied to withing say 4 weeks or do you mean older threads.

We do seem to be getting a lot of first time members opening old threads and spamming them.

Also a lot of posters not pressing the resolved button when they have fixed their problems.

PCA site working very well at the moment if it stays like this it would be a vast improvement.

wiz-king 03 Oct 11

I think 4 weeks since the last posting would be a good starting point.

simonjary 03 Oct 11

We were thinking of locking all old threads after six months.

How does that sound?

Simon

simonjary 03 Oct 11

It sounds like you prefer a shorter lifetimes for old threads!

Covergirl 03 Oct 11

Buteman & Simon

Four weeks sounds good to me too. Six months definitely too long.

(What else are you planning to change while the FEs in no position to stop you? While the cats away . . . . . LoL!)

PS Loving the automatically generated Ads by Google suggesting Loctite to lock threads :)

Pine Man 03 Oct 11

Four weeks from the last post seems ideal to me.

Quickbeam 03 Oct 11

3 months would be a good compromise, 4 weeks in some cases would see some threads that need to run on over a time being timed out prematurely, and there's nothing worse than finding yourself timed out by a know it all computer!

Aitchbee 03 Oct 11

Three months sounds good to me.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message