//some 3rd party need geo

LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) query

CurlyWhirly 16:08 10 Dec 04

click here

At present I am *unable* to get any broadband speed faster than 1mb.
If ISP's no longer use BT's wholesale broadband products and install their own equipment at BT's exchanges (i.e. LLU), are the distance limits *still* there or does LLU somehow get over this distance problem?
Just curious as in the link above it mentions that AOL *may* go down this route!

leo49 17:20 10 Dec 04

Haven't a clue - but my connection was upgraded this week to 2mb under the BT 'trial' and if and when you can get it,it's well worth it.Noticeable speed increase on general browsing and downloading is extremely rapid.

CurlyWhirly 17:23 10 Dec 04

Thanks for replying.
The reason why I asked about LLU was *because* at present I *can't* get the 2mb speed service!

throwitoutthewindow 20:21 10 Dec 04

It may be possible depending on what equipment another conmpany decides to install at the other end of the copper wire. If you live in a rural area I would not hold your breath for any other provider to come along and bother.

CurlyWhirly 20:23 10 Dec 04

Thanks. I am lucky as I live in quite a big town so there is hope for me then! Hooray! lol

Graham ® 10:46 11 Dec 04

Don't get your hopes up just yet! Let me explain:

The 'Local Loop' is the network of cables that branch out of every exchange to connect your line. For some time now, BT has been obliged to make this available to other telcos, this is LLU.

This means that they (other telcos) have to instal their own exchange equipment inside the BT exchange building, including broadband, and link it in to their own national network.

So, whilst this would indeed be separate from BT broadband, it would still be using the same wires to your house.

CurlyWhirly 23:19 18 Dec 04

Thanks for the above information.
Looks like I am 'stuck' on 1mb then?
What about when ADSL2 comes out?
Will this make any difference?

Graham ® 10:23 19 Dec 04

ADSL2 and ADSL2+ will extend the reach, though why you would want a faster connection than 1MB leaves me gasping! :-)

CurlyWhirly 12:54 19 Dec 04

Look at VoG with his 4mb cable connection! lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…