Little man 1-0 Big Corporation

nick2308 20:20 07 Mar 07

Found this on my local radio station, what a refreshing change:

Booze seized at Tesco

60-thousand litres of alcohol have been seized by baliffs from a Tesco store in Gloucester...

It is after they ignored a court order telling them to pay damages to a Swindon man.

59-year-old David Bond filled up his van from the Tesco Extra store on St Oswalds Road, Gloucester with fuel, that damaged his engine - costing him more than three-thousand pounds to repair.

Now bayliffs have taken the alcohol to auction off to cover costs.

Sweet.

royalflush 20:24 07 Mar 07

nick2308 three words "Amazing & nice one" large companies always strutting there stuff...

Stuartli 20:28 07 Mar 07

>>Now bayliffs have taken the alcohol to auction off to cover costs.>>

Actually they haven't - it's still being sold by Tesco.

However the move did get Tesco's management swinging into action to meet its obligations and about time too, as the incident regarding water in the diesel it supplied happened in 2003...:-)

It's something that's very unusual for Tesco. I've always found its customer service to be first class, along with many, many others.

Confab 20:31 07 Mar 07

It always amazes me that some people seem to have it in for large corporations. Tesco is one of the largest retailers in the UK and just like any other organisation it can and does make errors. You’ll usually find that Tesco will bend over backwards to offer it’s customers a good service. I thought that Tesco paid the outstanding debt.

I really don’t see what there is to be pleased about here.

Confab

oresome 21:04 07 Mar 07

Like all large organisations, Tesco have a PR machine to let you know how caring they are.

But they do have a darker side as anyone who listens to the consumer programmes on the radio are probably aware of.

The latest incident I heard of involved proposals to circumvent planning restrictions on the building of a new store.

Forum Editor 23:23 07 Mar 07

Well, they're large because they're successful, and they're successful because they provide precisely what people want, and do it profitably.

In Tesco's case you have a company that was started by one man in a street market and has gone on to become Britain's largest food retailer. Not only does the company dominate supermarkey food sales, it has 66% of the online food market - last year tesco made £1billion from internet sales alone. Over a quarter of a million people are employed by Tesco, and that is set to increase as the company continues its expansion in Europe and Asia.

As Churchill might have said, "Some strut! Some stuff!"

All big companies make mistakes, and all big companies use their financial muscle from time to time. In case you hadn't noticed, it's a highly-competitive world out there, and the food sector is the hardest of all in which to survive. tesco made a mistake in the case of this man, and he took some pretty spectacular action - things like that are the stuff that news editors' dreams are made of. Tesco will survive - their millions of customers know full well that the company provides them with good-quality at excellent prices.

robgf 03:38 08 Mar 07

That's a very enthusiastic defence of Tescos, are they sponsoring PCA.
rofl.

Stuartli 08:31 08 Mar 07

That comment was both unnecessary and completely unwarranted.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

MichelleC 09:25 08 Mar 07

I've got no truck with companies which are successful. But I do tend to care about the methods employed by them on how they get to these dizzying heights.

Tescos have been accused of "bypassing the democratic planning process."
click here, of Tesco 'breaching planning laws' click here
This site is devoted to the escalating problem of possible world domination by them Tescopoly click here (Every Little hurts)
More and more communities are vetoing Tescos plans to open stores in their locales.

We have to remember the retail industry is not manned by pussy cats. It's one of the most cut-throat, mercenary sectors there is.

I saw a documentary last week on their predominance in the food retail industry and it was intimated the chief exec, Terry Leahy, may step down soon.

Stuartli 09:48 08 Mar 07

The Americans have a very similar view of Walmart.

Sir Terry Leahy, who comes from a Liverpool council estate background, built Tesco up to become Europe's biggest supermarket retailer and deserves the maximum credit for his achievements and that of the company itself.

However the British way of life seems to knock any form of success - perhaps it's why we are acknowledged as such "good losers" in so many different fields.

Also, before criticising Tesco with regard to planning applications (allegations which could equally be levelled against other similar chains), you may well be surprised if you check out the credentials of some of your local and national politicians and local authority officials.

Kate B 10:02 08 Mar 07

I'm not generally hostile to big companies but Michelle makes some good points. To be fair, all the supermarkets use their size to drive their costs down as low as possible but it is certainly not a cuddly sector.

Nothing to do with the present management of Tesco, but it was founded by the father of Shirley Porter, who was ordered by the House of Lords to pay £27m surcharge for her part in the homes-for-votes affair of the 1980s. She told the courts that she was only had a pitiful £300,000 to her name, though the Sunday Times rich list reckoned she was worth £69m.

Tesco was among the supermarkets investigated by the Competition Commission recently. It found that broadly, consumers get a reasonably good deal from the supermarkets, but it had concerns about some practices click here

More recently, Channel 4's Dispatches looked at Tesco's expansion plans - and it's already bigger than any other supermarket group click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009