Listening to new music

Clapton is God 16:46 29 Dec 09

As members will know, I've long been a fan of a certain Mr Clapton and his music.

My elder daughter's partner, Dudley, is a professional musician, guitarist and university lecturer in music. He's also a fan of Jeff Beck who replaced Clapton in The Yardbirds in the early 60's.

So, when it was announced that Clapton and Beck would be playing together at London’s O2 in February, it was a gig not to be missed! Dudley and I bought tickets.

Although I'm fully aware of Beck’s history as a guitarist, I'm not really familiar with his music, so I asked Dudley if I could borrow some of his Beck CDs.

It wasn't quite what I had in mind, but he duly handed me a collection of 3 new Beck CDs on Christmas day as a present!

I’ve spent the last few days listening to them (as I am now) trying to come to terms with this (to me) 'new' music.

All of the albums are instrumental and are best described as a jazz/rock fusion. I'm not yet sure what I think, but I'll persevere! I can also detect Beck’s playing style in Dudley’s playing style.

Any Beck fans out there who can give me some tips?

Forum Editor 18:32 29 Dec 09

we both play Fender Fender Stratocasters. That's where the resemblance ends however - he's one of the world's best ever rock guitarists, and I'm not.

Beck is like Marmite - you either love him or you don't, and I'm afraid I don't. He has experimented way too much over the years for my liking, and it has been to the detriment of his musical success. Everyone knows 'Hi ho silver lining', but I bet most people would be hard-pressed to recall any other memorable Beck track.

I'll leave him to you, to be honest. He's technically brilliant, but I can't see that he's ever recorded anything to equal his first album - 'Truth', recorded way back sometime in the late 1960's. If sheer technical guitar-playing brilliance is your thing his last offering, called 'You had it coming' is well worth listening to, but otherwise it's not my idea of music heaven.

canarieslover 08:11 30 Dec 09

He has always struck me as a man who was in love with his guitar rather than the music. There are much less capable guitarists out there who are much more listenable because you can feel that they are putting there heart and soul into the music. I gave up listening to Beck when he decided that he could play ten notes when a good 'bent' note would have been more effective.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now