Listen Listen ...

Aitchbee 21:26 18 Aug 13
Answered

I've had a problem with my left ear, [partial deafness [in that ear] and a constant low-level 'white noise'], for about six weeks now. [I suspected a build-up of earwax].

Anyway, my GP has arranged to have both of my ears 'syringed' next friday 'cos the special eardrops she has prescribed over the last three weeks were not helping the infection in both of my ears very much.

Has anyone, on the forum, had similar hearing problems, and if so, please let me know if syringing helped in any way.

thanks in anticipation.

Nontek 22:42 18 Aug 13

Yes, I have ... syringing definitely helped! Over the past few years I have had mine done a couple of times.

bumpkin 22:44 18 Aug 13

Aitchbee, if you are being serious for once, I had the same thing about a year ago, lasted about a month. Wont hurt to have them syringed anyway. I didn't go to my GP as my wife is a nurse so ordered a syringe for her to do it, before I got it I woke up one day and hearing back to normal. I expect it is just wax from what you have said.

bumpkin 22:54 18 Aug 13

GP has probably told you this but if not put a few drops of olive oil in you ears at night for 2 days before the syringing it softens the wax.

spuds 23:50 18 Aug 13

Syringing can be a good thing for some people, depending if you have put something like a good quality wax loosener from a chemist, in the ear or ears first, and especially a few days before syringing takes place. It also depends on the person doing the syringing, as to whether and how they remove the wax completely.

One word of caution, and your GP should already know this, is if you have a perforated ear, syringing by the water method should not be done, or only done under extreme care by a fully qualified person. If you go to your local hospital, usually on the recommendation of your GP, they will or should use a suction device to remove any wax etc.

If you have persistent 'blocked ear or waxing' problems, then the recommended chemist drops self administered should help. But be sure to ask the chemist or your GP first. I find Cerumol very good, which is a combination of Arachis oil (Peanut oil), but if you are allergic to peanuts or soya, then tell the chemist or GP before making any purchase.

morddwyd 08:12 19 Aug 13
Answer

You'll probably be surprised at the difference it makes.

One minor problem can be that the condition becomes chronic, requiring regular (but not frequent, say once every two years or so) treatment.

Remember the old adage " Never stick anything in your ear except an elbow"!

michaelw 09:03 19 Aug 13

I use a finger nail to scoop my wax out, filed to just the right shape.

spuds 09:31 19 Aug 13

jock1e - I agree syringing 'was' a thing in the past, but you may well find that GP practises have returned to that procedure, because ENT units are getting a bit fed up with GP referrals for wax removal. The suction equipment is not a device the GP practise wants to purchase to stand idle most of the time, so the old syringe as most likely returned, even though the medical expertise now state syringing might do more harm, especially if a perforated ear or ear infection is in question?.

Nowadays, a talk with a chemist, and some ear drops usually helps to resolve a simple ear wax problem. but as I mentioned before, be wary of what is used, because the various formulas used in the products do differ, and what suits one, might not suit another, especially if there is likely to be an allergic reaction?.

Must also agree about the pain when suction is being used, something that I will never overcome, and I have a fair amount of higher pain barrier levels.

spuds 12:03 19 Aug 13

Jock1e - A person of the profession once told me that ear wax is suppose to clear itself naturally. I suppose that's the same reason, chemist's sell various types of ear clearing drops :O)

In the early days, I use to have a Professor, ENT surgeon and whose other role was a senior ENT lecturer at the local university. His method of removing wax, was by using a wooden handled rod with a circular wire attached, and any wax was removed by that means. The wire was usually sterilised by using a bunsen burner flame. How methods and times have progress over the years ?.

I hope all this is not un-nerving Aitchbee before next Friday, and his big day!.

Aitchbee 13:17 19 Aug 13

Thanks for your replies, one and all.

Another symptom that I forgot to mention in my OP [but I did mention it to my GP], was that I can sense/hear a clunking sound inside my head when walking outdoors. This worries me the most, as I am kind-of-a-thinkin' that something is afoot [ie. not quite right] inside my inner ear.

ps. My neighbour in the flat [on the otherside of my bedroom wall] has asked me nicely, to turn the volume of my radio down, as she "can't get to sleep with the noise." [I sometimes listen to world service thru' the night, and if I lay on my 'good ear' side I can't hear a thing!

pps. I am alternatively 'topping up' both ears with almond oil using a dropper, every few hours, so I should be 'well-oiled', by the end of the week. :o)

Aitchbee 14:01 19 Aug 13

Jock1e, you're real surname isn't this one, is it?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced