Linux Virgin

shunter02 09:33 16 May 06

I'm currently using Linux Live running for a CD.
But which version is the best for a complete novice to run & get used to using Linux then?

I intend putting it on my laptop which is a P2 233 with 32MB RAm + 4GB HDD, which should i go for?

Has pcadvisor thought of having a cover disc with a Linux Live version on it or even a workshop on which version to use?

martjc 09:54 16 May 06

...a cover disk has been offered before.
As for your question: it all depends. Do you like strawberry ice cream or plain vanilla?

In my estimation, UbuntuLinux is one of the best.
If you email me via the little yellow envelope, I can supply you with both live and install versions. You can then try it out. If you like it, install it - it's fairly simple. If not, just dump it.

There are a wealth of different flavours of Linux. Try a few of them!

iambeavis 10:30 16 May 06

With 32MB of ram, you may be better off looking at ubuntulite - click here

or Damn Small Linux - click here

or Puppy Linux - click here

I started with ubuntu but found it a bit slow with only 128 MB of ram so I installed Xubuntu, which is ubuntu with a lighter, faster d/e and everything is now A1.

iambeavis 10:33 16 May 06

I forgot to mention that the major drawback to a HD install of Damn Small Linux is that it gives you no option other than to use a United States layout keyboard.

dth 15:48 16 May 06

Puppy Linux sounds a good choice with it being such an old p/c.

shunter02 18:02 16 May 06

Cheers for all of those ideas :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…