linux users on pcadvisor ?

acein1 20:56 22 Dec 10

hi folks , are there any "linux" users on here????
ive just taken the plunge and so far its great,but it takes a bit of getting used to

Coltch 08:59 23 Dec 10

Which Distro are you using?.

I'm currently using Fedora 14, which after using Debian for a few years takes some getting used to.

morddwyd 09:03 23 Dec 10

Oh Dear.

I fear you might get a reply from the forum's greatest Linux advocate, ronaldonald or whoever his present incarnation is!

acein1 12:20 23 Dec 10

hi coltch, "linux mint 10"

ukpostcode 12:51 23 Dec 10

And it's a good distro for new users to use;-)

robin_x 13:17 23 Dec 10

I found Puppy Linux great on my 12(?) yr old laptop when I dug it out the wardrobe.

128MBRAM. Not the latest of pretty desktops but it worked and setup my wireless dongle without a squeak. Also fine with Logitech wireless mouse.

Got me out of an emergency when I broke my new laptop.

Matt Egan 13:29 23 Dec 10

It changed it from being virtually unusuable to being a nippy little workhorse. I'm a big fan. I am honour bound to point out that I also use a Mac, a Windows 7 PC and a Vista laptop that is, frankly, a dog.

More here: click here

Forum Editor 14:09 23 Dec 10

he inspired me with talk of Ubuntu on his netbook, and I followed suit.

My Acer Aspire one is now nipping along like a nippy thing, and is a joy to travel with. I'm sticking to Windows 7 and Microsoft Office on my other machines because I need the file compatibility for work, but the Ubuntu netbook experience has me hooked.

interzone55 15:16 23 Dec 10

I tried Ubuntu on my Dell Mini 10 netbook and it worked like a dream except for one tiny problem - I couldn't get a working driver for the WLAN card, which kind of ruins the whole "sitting in McDonalds drinking coffee surfing the web" netbook experience.

Al94 15:31 23 Dec 10

Wasn't for me, I bought an Acer Aspire One netbook with Linux and abandoned it for XP, it flies and does everything I want it to do much more easily. Drivers were an issue for me.

acein1 16:08 23 Dec 10

thanks for all replies.
just for your info.im running "mint" on a 640gb h/d
aspire x3200,amd phenomX3, 3gb ram, and its flying,
i can honestly say that i can everything i did b/4 ob vista cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced