Linux Suse 9.1 Installed - What now?!

GibsonSt19 17:10 11 Dec 04

Well, got it installed, and although it looks similar to XP, I'm a little lost!

The screen resolution is aweful at present (I can hardly read the text), however I have NO idea how to change it.

Also, I need to be able to connect to the net via my Speedtouch USB Modem (via, however I can't get the darn thing working.

I've googled it, and it tells me I need to download some Management Software from Alcatel, or Thompson (whetever they're called now), and do various things after that I cannot understand in the slightest.

I think I may stick with XP until this stuff's even more user friendly.

Unless anyone has any inspiring ideas that may make me change my mind and persevere?

Valvegrid 17:29 11 Dec 04

I'm sorry to hear you're having those problems, unfortunately I run Xandros Linux, so I don't know much about SuSe. They do have support forums and if they are anything like the Xandros forums I've found the people extremely helpful. It may be worth putting your question to them:

click here

I have been using Xandros for nearly a year now and only use Windows for the applications that won't run on Linux and never use Windows for the Internet any more.

LastChip 23:27 11 Dec 04

Go to Start (SuSE); System; YaST. You'll be asked to log on as "root". (The great thing about Linux is it's very secure, and no one except the root user can make system changes unless prior permissions have been set-up by the system administrator - root).

Once in YaST, click on Hardware; Graphics Card and Monitor. In the new window that appears, click "Change" and this will produce yet another window that allows you to select the particular aspect of the set-up you wish to change.

When you have changed your resolution or whatever, click on finalize for the settings to take effect.

dth 16:46 13 Dec 04

Sorry but Linux Suse isn't very good with usb modems - you might well have problems connecting to the net without a proper modem.

Suse is a brill system (and imho much better than XP in many ways) but you are gonna have problems with a usb modem.

As lastchip explained if you use yast you can change any or all of your settings. The tabs are pretty clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…