Linux is getting there

bemuzed 21:47 19 Oct 05

A few months ago I tried Linux and gave up as it were incomprehensible and advice from the Forum was novices should avoid it. Being a sucker for punishment I had another go when I chanced upon a book called "Point & Click Linux" in my local library. It explained how Linux worked and what applications were analogous to Windows one and how to carry out Windows-like tasks. Software uploads with MEPIS would not work so I tried PCLinuxOS and now I can easily download new programs etc. I can do everything Windows does application wise that I need to, but big problem is Linux does not have drivers for my printer, scanner not camera so I get limited use with those. Linux is getting there, especialy if you wnat a free OS or if you buy a retail version take some pleasure fo not putting yet more money into MS coffers.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:56 19 Oct 05

'big problem is Linux does not have drivers for my printer, scanner not camera so I get limited use with those'...says it all for me and the word 'pointless' springs to mind.

G

bemuzed 22:09 19 Oct 05

My interest is getting stufff for free and also interested int eh economic model that says a bunch of talented people around the world can collaborate together and produce something that a public company makes tons of money out of. Companies exist as they can either organise epople to produce somethign or have some material (machine, land) that an individual cannot have. However, with software all you need is a brain and a the ubiquitous microproccesor. the organisation comes fo people collaborating over the internet. maybe we do not need private companies to create the software. Interesting how far that will go.

DieSse 22:09 19 Oct 05

Both Linspire and Xandros (free download available) have drivers for all my peripherals.

Both are fully graphical interfaces (I have never used the command line in either). Install easily, have simple updating methods, have loads of downloadable software (Linspire has more) downloaded in the normal "windows-like" way.

I'm still deciding which to use in the long term - but it will be one or the other and not Vista!

Also trying to decide between OpenOffice, Star Office and K-Office - definately not MS Office!

DieSse 22:13 19 Oct 05

"says it all for me and the word 'pointless' springs to mind."

I presume you've not tried it then.

The phrases *more secure* *open source* *more stable* and *lots of money saved* spring to my mind!

bemuzed 22:15 19 Oct 05

DieSse - can I take drivers off those Linux offers and put into PCLinuxOS?

igk 23:02 19 Oct 05

I dumped M$ 2 months ago and now use Suse Linux 9.3 pro (retail £60) my printer,camera & scanner all worked first time,it found my home network and my broadband connection with no input from me,no more worries about antivirus,spyware,trojans etc and it lets me know when there are updates patches,it has everything I need even a seperate news reader and the open office is compatible with M$ office docs.It also fired up a very good firewall.
GANDALF <|:-)> if you don't play the game you should not deride those that do it smacks of jealosy!!!!

Forum Editor 23:25 19 Oct 05

"Linux is going to take over the world" thread.

The only problem is that I've been hearing the same old thing for years and years, and it hasn't happened yet - nor is there any sign that it is likely to do so in the foreseeable future.

Linux users - and I'm one myself by the way - get all excited about how good it is, and how it saves you loads of money etc., etc., and that's just fine. I have absolutely no argument with people who are enthusiastic about something, but please.....don't pretend that Linux is the answer to every computer user's prayer, because it isn't. For millions and millions of people the very thought of trying to get a Linux desktop running with all their software and hardware devices is simply too horrendous to contemplate.

As for all that hippie waffle about "all you need is a brain and the ubiquitous microprocessor - just who do you think made that 'ubiquitous processor'? Do you think someone knocked it up in their garden shed? CPUs are made by giant companies, with giant development budgets running into billions of dollars. They are the only businesses with the financial clout to produce state-of-the-art computer processors. Think about that before you post another confused and confusing "we do not need private companies to produce software" statement. We do need private enterprise, because if it didn't exist we wouldn't have computers or software at all.

Linux has its place in the scheme of things - as a server platform it's superb - but please don't try to pretend that it can hold a candle to Windows in the compatibility/ease of use stakes, because it can't. If it could we would all have been using it long ago.

LastChip 23:43 19 Oct 05

Some of us here have droned on about Linux for some time and of course, it would be stupid to say it's making massive inroads, but it IS making significant inroads in certain area's.

Of course, it's been strong in the server world for a long time now, but in the last few years, some governments have taken an interest (Germany and Norway spring to mind), Massachusetts has decided to implement Open Documents, which effectively rules out Microsoft (at present) and opens the way for applications such as Open Office and Star Office.

A few brave souls have ventured into the Linux world (me for one) and have discovered a truly exceptional operating system.

Which Distro you choose, is open to personal taste, but for first time users, Xandros takes an awful lot of beating. SuSE and Mandriva (formally Mandrake) are also very easy installations and all come with all the software you could wish for.

The downloaded versions are free (you can't ask for more) and the commercial versions have additional capability, and cost less than Microsoft's operating system by itself.

The downside? You have to be prepared to open your mind and learn something new. It's not rocket science, it's just different and once you are used to it, you will find it as simple as Windows.

Forum Editor 00:03 20 Oct 05

Well yes, but Linux isn't exactly new, is it?

I first saw Linux in 1991 (version 0.0.1), and fourteen years have passed since then - how long does it take to open people's minds for goodness sake.

I keep getting back to the same old point - if something is really that good the word spreads like wildfire, and everyone wants it. The fact is, Linux has been around for a very long time, and the word hasn't spread like wildfire, and everyone still doesn't want it. Surely there's a conclusion to draw from that, isn't there?

DieSse 00:31 20 Oct 05

Once upon a time everyone who used "Communications" used Telexes (and Telex Corporation was a mighty company making huge profits).

Along came faxes - and people said "Oh - but everyone has Telex machines, and we do all our business via Telexes, and anyway, hardly anyone uses faxes."

And things only changed slowly.

Then faxes became cheaper, and more and more people thought they'd try them, and they became easier to use.

Suddenly a critical juncture was reached, where prices fell and new markets opened up for faxes, and everyone saw the benefits of faxing and switching to faxes took off.

Where are Telex Corporation now??

So - just be aware that things can and do change, however mighty the monopoly suppliers are. Sometimes critical junctures of events hasten those sea-changes.

IMHO Vista and DRM and *Secure Computing*, and the rise of the *Ultra Low Cost* computer, might just be one of those such critical junctures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…