Linux on Dell

octal 17:42 01 May 07

click here

Now that is interesting, I might just consider a Dell if they flog them over here in the UK for my next purchase. They can obviously see a market for them. I just hope people understand the limitations of Linux, but good luck Dell.

Forum Editor 18:01 01 May 07

which has been losing market share of late. There's undoubtedly a demand for Linux machines, but at the moment it's quite a small one. Del and Ubuntu obvioulsy hope that will change, although Chris kenyon, Ubuntu's director of business development is a realist. He said Ubintu is "an excellent option" for most users, especially if they want web, e-mail and standard office functionality.

He knows that lots of the software that people use on Windows machines won't run in Ubuntu, and neither will lots of hardware devices. That may change, if developers and hardware manufacturers see the market share rising, but it's a long way off at the moment.

I wish Dell and Ubuntu well with this collaboration, it deserves to succeed.

Strawballs 22:22 01 May 07

As Ubuntu is open source therfore free I hope that Dell reflect this in their prices compared to the machines that come bundled with windows!!!

LastChip 23:09 01 May 07

perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.

I'll make no bones about it, I'm delighted this collaboration has happened and really hope it succeeds. The point is, IF the market begins to take to an alternative to Microsoft, there are many good points that could emerge, not least competition for Microsoft (however small). Perhaps hardware manufacturers taking more interest in providing proper drivers for their hardware and so on. Maybe other computer suppliers seeing a threat emerge and hence follow suit.

But one has to ask, what's in it for Dell?

They claim independent market research has shown a market; let's hope that's true. But what about the hardware requirements for running Linux (Ubuntu) v Vista?

Anyone that knows even the smallest amount about Linux will know that like for like, the hardware required to run Linux is less than Vista. I don't think there's much argument about that.

So is this an opportunity for Dell to provide a lower specified machine (which is more than adequate for Linux - hence cutting manufacturing costs) at a lower retail price than they could with Vista loaded, but at an increased margin? I'm not saying it is, but it's a thought.

Or do they simply want to differentiate Dell in the (crowded) market place by offering something different?

Almost certainly, there are other reasons behind this move that I haven't even thought about, but good luck to them anyway.

ashdav 00:35 02 May 07

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Windows (xp Vista et al) is an overblown OS and and tries to be all things to all men.
It fails in this. Look at all the updates/security fixes etc that get issued and the unwanted programs that are on your computer you will never use.
The future is in a basic OS that makes your hardware work then any functions you want, you install yourself.
The Linux route is part way there but the ability to install third party progs is still difficult for the majority of the public.
When this is sorted out then I think Linux will become much more popular.

Forum Editor 00:59 02 May 07

"When this is sorted out then I think Linux will become much more popular."

People have been saying that for years.

ashdav 02:39 02 May 07

I realise that but things have moved on recently.
Ubuntu is moving towards becoming the default Linux distro but there is still the tendency to offer an operating system with all (popular) applications preinstalled.
Most people will never use everything that comes with a shop bought computer so the OS becomes bloated as far as the user is concerned.
This is only my personal view but in 2yrs I think Linux will become a serious alternative if not the first choice of OS for most people as it is adaptive to different hardware setups (unlike Mac) and is freely available (unlike Windows).
I've tried ,and am still trying, various OS with a view to educating myself and I give my thoughts based on my experiences and of others who have
posted on the internet over time.
I don't wish to disparage those who go the Microsoft route (I still use XP myself for some things) but I want to make people aware that there is another way if not several.

Forum Editor 07:13 02 May 07

I'll meet you here in 2 years time, and we'll see if Linux has indeed "become a serious alternative if not the first choice of OS for most people".

I predict that it will not become the first choice for most people, it's already a serious alternative for some.

Kate B 09:18 02 May 07

But hey, with enormous hard drives and incredibly fast processors, who actually cares if Windows is big? I don't. It does what I want it to do, it's not too big for my PC - I think the "Windows is bloated" argument is actually irrelevant. It mattered in the days of small hard drives, slow processors and expensive RAM. It doesn't matter today.

Evangelists of any kind, be they religious or insisting that you see the light on their kind of music or Linux proselytisers, never seem to get that at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter who believes in/listens to/uses on their PC what.

I wish Dell well with this move, it's an interesting one. But ashdav, while I'm delighted that Linux is good for you, there are plenty of us who don't want to try it and are happy to stick with Windows.

octal 10:38 02 May 07

Seem to be getting into the usual Linux v Windows thread which isn't what was intended.

ashdav 00:16 03 May 07

Sorry that it's turned out that way (again) but it wasn't steered by me.I just responded to the postings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac