To lighten up a Sunday evening

Bingalau 21:17 05 Apr 09

I hope this link comes up because the pictures are nice too.

click here

bluto1 21:45 05 Apr 09

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I thought at first it was a test to join a political party.
Some of those pictures are not just nice, they're stunning.

dukeboxhero 21:47 05 Apr 09

As you say Bingalau nice pictures I liked the complaint
No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled."

Strawballs 21:56 05 Apr 09

Quite a few good chuckles there

brundle 22:58 05 Apr 09

Great pics. Not sure where I heard it, but apparently one of the staff involved with the One O'Clock Gun at Edinburgh Castle has been asked at what time the gun is fired. His answer is "60 past 12".

Stuartli 23:16 05 Apr 09

Re: "Are there any lakes in the Lake District?"

It's not quite as daft a question as it sounds (in fact we had a good natter about it recently over a few pints).

The reason is that, apart from Lake Windermere, we couldn't think of any other lakes in the Lake (note singular) District - they are all called waters.

crosstrainer 07:24 06 Apr 09

Great Pictures :)) Why don't mine come out like that :((?

red1977 08:35 06 Apr 09

Bassenthwaite lake is the only "lake" in the lake district.

sunnystaines 08:43 06 Apr 09

re the Brighton one, I can understand that one as parts of northern Italy the local authority charge people just to go on a public beach.

Stuartli 12:03 06 Apr 09

Then you dispute the Cumbrian tourist authority's view, the title "Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway" and various other pointers, such as Windermere is the largest English lake. For instance:

click here

red1977

click here

However, we've always known it as Bassenthwaite water, although search engines reveal examples of both lake and water...:-)

Stuartli 17:57 06 Apr 09

We have plenty of meres near me and I'm several dozen miles from the Lake District, so I'm aware of what the word means...:-)

By the way, your words earlier:

"In fact, there are no 'lakes' in the Lake District"..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…