Libya shows it's gratitude!

Flak999 13:10 04 Mar 12

Good to see how grateful some Libyans are for the west's assistance in helping them get rid of Gaddafi! Desecration of commonwealth cemetery

Should we be surprised by this?

wee eddie 13:17 04 Mar 12

I would no more take this action, to be the thoughts and feelings of the Libyan People, as I would take the pronouncements of Nick Griffin to be the thoughts of the population of the United Kingdom.

Forum Editor 13:22 04 Mar 12

Libya shows it's gratitude!

That's a misleading thread title if ever I saw one.

A few Libyans have desecrated British graves, and the Libyan authorities have expressed shock and anger - they have made "a very strong commitment (that) they will get to the bottom of this".

"Should we be surprised by this?"

No. It must come as no great surprise to anyone to discover that there are anti-British, anti-Christian factions in Libya, I would have though it obvious. This is deeply regrettable incident, and one that must cause great distress to the relatives involved, but it isn't something that warrants an overreaction.

al's left peg 14:07 04 Mar 12

Maybe it's time we stopped getting involved in conflicts for, and giving aid to people who dislike us!

john bunyan 14:29 04 Mar 12

"Maybe it's time we stopped getting involved in conflicts for, and giving aid to people who dislike us!"

Like when we helped the French in 1944? - as Dr Starkey said in a recent Question time.

Forum Editor 14:31 04 Mar 12

al's left peg

"Maybe it's time we stopped getting involved in conflicts for, and giving aid to people who dislike us!"

Didn't you bother to read the story in the link?

The Libyan people as a whole don't dislike us - a few of them do. A few of those few have desecrated British graves. A few of our own soldiers have committed similar acts of desecration on foreign soil throughout our history - it is regrettable, to say the least, but it happens.

When it happens we get a chance to express our shock and anger, but that's that - there's certainly no need to be speculating about whether or not we should give foreign aid, or become involved in conflict.

Flak999 15:04 04 Mar 12

Forum Editor

That's a misleading thread title if ever I saw one.

The thread title and my post, when read in context with the link I posted was my attempt at Irony! The fact that this act was videoed and posted to the web was obviously intended to give the greatest possible offence to the widest possible audience.

One of the things I noticed whilst watching the video, which if it wasn't so distasteful would be amusing was the comments of the perpetrators intoning "Allahu Akbar" (God is Great) whilst they committed their desecration.

Presumably they felt that their particular version of the deity would approve of their actions desecrating the memorials of another deity's followers!

Quite pathetic really.

john bunyan 15:11 04 Mar 12

Flak99

"Presumably they felt that their particular version of the deity would approve of their actions desecrating the memorials of another deity's followers"

Yes,all the more pathetic since I thought that Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the same original "God", even if they have different prophets etc.

sunnystaines 15:25 04 Mar 12

these yobs may well be rounded uo by the militas and not seen or herd of again, after a short drive out into the desert.

morddwyd 20:36 04 Mar 12

"Not all Libyans dislike us"

Well the sods that stoned me in 1958 gave a damn good impression!

Quickbeam 20:55 04 Mar 12

Not that you hold grudges though...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac