A levels and G.C.S.E's marked in India

Phil78 23:43 09 Dec 07

My other half has just read in the paper that our childrens exam results will soon be marked in india.

Do the government have any plans to make the Indian language part of the national curiculum?

Most of the Banks, fuel and energy providers, ISP's, the list goes on, are using offshore call centers.
What is going on???????

No offence but I can never understand them and they are often little or no help. Why when I have to ask to speak to someone who speaks english would I want my childrens English G.C.S.E. marked there.

Si_L 23:51 09 Dec 07

Cheaper labour, but if that means they can afford to put more hours into marking the papers and get the scores more accurate, then I support it.

As for the Indian language being on our national curriculum, I think that is a bit of a far fetched comment. My experience of Indian people is that they are very intelligent, and they don't have many of the resources here we take for granted. They are definitely more than capable of marking an exam paper.

Forum Editor 00:17 10 Dec 07

that several million rich americans now have their tax returns prepared for them in India. It's a growing business, and clever people realise they can get a high standard of service at a lower cost, and a very rapid turnaround.

I imagine that precisely the same justification lies behind the marking decision. Go to India and pick up any of the big newspapers there - you'll find written English that's often far better that that in our own national tabloids. The same applies to business documents - I've received contract documents written by Indian lawyers that are streets ahead of some of the stuff I see coming from some UK solicitors.

Phil78 00:36 10 Dec 07

I could be wrong, but then again I have had to many bad experiances, I would prefer to deal with English staff.
F.E. you make a valid point, but this is higher paid
commerce, Teachers in this country mark exam papers in there spare time for little pay. The pittence that
will be paid in India can only bring the poor standards that we have come to find in call centers.
Also there is the understanding of our national curriculum. Teaching practices in India surely cannot
be the same as in the Uk.
Would like to here what British Teachers have to say about the matter.

tullie 06:26 10 Dec 07

Its true that some people on the sub continant can be difficult to understand,its just the accent.It doesent mean they are less intelligent.
We all have problems with regional accents in this country occasionally,sometimes worse than Indian ones.

Mike D 07:41 10 Dec 07

However... I work for a tutorial business and find that a number of parents (admittedly of Indian origin) are sending their offspring to India for schooling, as the educational standards in the best Indian schools are thought to be far in excess of many of the independent grammar schools in this country.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:21 10 Dec 07

You really need to whip the blinkers off your eyes and get into 2007. The level of teaching in the Indian middle school system is of a much higher standard than the woeful offerings in this country and their technology teaching has left us years behind. India is not a land of unlearned savages.

G

spuds 11:49 10 Dec 07

Considering the last results our local kids obtained, there is a possibility that marking the exam papers in India might lead to better results in the future.

But having stated that, is there not problems with medical records and requirement being undertaken by the Indian sub-continent. Many a medical word which looks similar, as been mis-interpreted!.

Phil78 21:08 10 Dec 07

Nice one guys, you don't get the other side of the story from the tabloids. I admit that I went of at the deep end a bit. Seems that a certain news paper is on the stir.

Not knowing the facts that you have statted, had left me misinformed.

I stand corrected, and reasured.

Thanks for putting me staight.

Forum Editor 22:43 10 Dec 07

that other countries - particularly asian countries - can't hold a candle to the UK when it comes to educational standards, but that's a big mistake.

I can clearly remember my first business visit to Singapore. I was entertained to dinner in the home of one of my Singaporean client's IT managers, and I met his two children, aged seven and nine. They were doing their homework, and I was astonished at the standard of work they produced. My host explained that Singapore schools work to exactly the same curriculum as the UK, but that they achieved higher standards - a greater percentage of Singapore students go to university, and their degree courses are exactly the same as in UK universities. Students work harder, and on average do better than in the UK because they know that education is the way to a better job.

Much the same attitude applies in India - educational standards are very high, and their markers will have no problems with our GCSE papers.

Stuartli 00:21 11 Dec 07

I'm absolutely with the FE on this one - the standard of education in India (and indeed many other countries) is at an exceptional level for a vast number of the population.

Remember that the consultant or member of nursing staff who looks after you in a UK hospital probably comes from India, Pakistan, the Philipines or similar countries and represent standards representing the highest level for their particular occupation.

In fact my other half owes her life to these wonderful people and that statement applies to more than half of members of the NHS who have looked after her for the past 14 years.

What's more my wife was a top level radiographer in the NHS during her working years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant