A letter from a stranger -what is your response?

jack 20:05 05 Sep 07

This morning post brought a letter in a shaky hand on cheap paper and envelope and a 1st class stamp.

It contained a brief note from an individual I do not knows and 2 b/w snapshots of my wiife and I out side the church on our wedding day 50 years ago.
In it the writer explained that a guest who was one of my crowd, but I had not seen virtually since that day, died three years , ago and before dieing passed on the photo's and our detail.
I am quite sure my old friend had not an idea of where we were because we moved to a new town only a few months later .
So I am wondering what is this all about?
Being an arch synic I also wonder is this the beginning of some sort of sting.
What do you think
Ignore or let curiosty get the better of me?

Clapton is God 20:14 05 Sep 07

Ignore, keep the letter and contents safe (preserve for finger prints of the sender) and await developments.

oresome 20:16 05 Sep 07

I would take it as genuine and make contact.

just send a reply thanking them and thats it..my father had a simular experience where he had photos from somebody he didnt know, after someone passed away.it was genuine.if they are not asking for something in return i would be glad for the memories of the photos which would otherwise be lost.yes take a little caution but dont over do it :) kind regards akanic

Spark6 20:32 05 Sep 07

In this sort of situation I believe it is best to do something positive, what have you got to lose, the sender has your name and address after all.

I would contact the sender, you have his address I assume, to update your knowledge of your wedding guest. Otherwise, your doubts are likely to niggle away at you for some time.

spuds 23:01 05 Sep 07

Sounds innocent enough. If the sender gave a name and address, contact their town's local electoral registrar and see if the sender is registered on the voters list. If it comes up genuine, then send a letter of thanks.

Forum Editor 23:20 05 Sep 07

of how this could be a 'sting', and even if it is, you're ready for it, aren't you?

Maybe you've watched one crime film too many?

jack 08:13 06 Sep 07

Well there you all are such diverse opinion.
But yes I am now aware- so an appreciate response would not go amiss.
Thank you all

wee eddie 08:41 06 Sep 07

a Post Card saying, Thank you and wishing them well, should be the minimum.

You do not normally put a return address on a Post Card.

If you want to make it quite easy for them to get in touch. Use a Picture Card of your locality.

oresome 13:11 06 Sep 07

jack's address is already known to the sender of the photos which is one of the issues puzzling him, if I've read the thread correctly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:14 06 Sep 07

Not wishing to lower the tone but I would be writing back post-haste and enquiring after the contents of the will ;-))

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…