Let's spare a thought

Forum Editor 18:29 13 Jan 10

for the people of Haiti, who are struggling to cope in the aftermath of a huge earthquake. Chaos reigns, and it's looking as though thousands may have died.

To make matters worse there's the fear that there may well be aftershocks. We may think we have problems in our country, but at least we don't have to deal with that kind of disaster.

spikeychris 18:58 13 Jan 10

Having to wait an extra week to have your bins emptied falls rapidly down the list.

bri-an 19:29 13 Jan 10

Absolutely right, it's impossible to feel anything but horror at what must be happening to those poor people.
Tornado one year, this the next, doesn't it put our problems into context.

octal 20:14 13 Jan 10

It all makes our little bit of snow pale into insignificance after what those people have had to endure.

Al94 20:58 13 Jan 10

Totally agree, the extent of the devastation is yet to become clear, another huge tragedy for a country beset by poverty and other issues. I was heartened to see that yet again a charity I have been involved in fund raising for (which was set up initially by a Cornwall club of an international organisation I am a member of) by this morning had a team mobilised to assist. I post this link by way of raising awareness rather that a direct appeal and I hope in the circumstances the "golden mouse" will permit. click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:57 13 Jan 10

Fire engines and ambulances have to have police protection in the UK...why are you so surprised? Welcome to the real world.

G

bri-an 06:46 14 Jan 10

It was reported that on the actual day of the quake there was already looting, and it wasn't all that surprising if you consider the levels of poverty in some sections of Haiti, I suppose.
Only serves to demonstate the conditions that already existed for some people out there.

Quickbeam 07:37 14 Jan 10

Not a lot I can say sitting here in comfort, except to pass some coin on to salve my conscience.

Sapins 09:00 14 Jan 10

I think there has been enough awareness raised by the media. I now await the removal forthwith of your link, unless there is one rule for our posts and another for the FE's?

ulrich 09:43 14 Jan 10

You don't have to click on it. As it happens people are asking the BBC where they can send help.
Perhaps a bit of thought is needed now and again.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:06 14 Jan 10

'It's hard to imagine a country so broken that even an event like this isn't enough to stop the threat of violence'...I was merely pointing out that even when events occur in the UK, the police are called to protect the fire and ambulance service, so you should not really be surprised at 'help and assist' services needing protection. I'm sure that you understood this point and that it was not trying to say that life here is the same as there...just pointing out a little similarity but thanks for raising my status as a world traveller.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…