lets activate windows

titus.a. 00:05 04 Oct 05

i have been getting a reminder to activate windows as supposedly i have changed several pieces of hardware...since i havent changed any hardware im assuming this is some sort of scam....does anyone know anything about it
if it is not a scam are microsoft then guilty of monitoring my computer without my permission surely
mr gates wouldnt think of such a thing

Forum Editor 01:40 04 Oct 05

I assume that you're saying you've already activated your copy of Windows XP - is that it?

titus.a. 12:24 04 Oct 05

yes i originally activated windows when i installed XPhome on a new hard drive fortunately i own a genuine copy of XP but suspected this was a scam because if i had XP installed by a manufacturer i may not have had a copy to re activate windows
the other reason that i felt that it was a scam is that it says " due to significant changes in my hardware" i havent changed any hardware since installing windows are microsoft monitoring hardware changes in private computers
i have been receiving all microsoft updates since installing XP so they presumably know i have a genuine version of XP

thms 13:09 04 Oct 05
  freaky 15:59 04 Oct 05

I recently upgraded a PC from 512MB Ram to 1024MB. Got the same message and they gave me 3 days to re-activate. On the same PC I replaced a faulty floppy drive, and upgraded the CD Rom to a DVD Re-writable......but did not receive any message to re-activate!

bremner 16:06 04 Oct 05

XP does in effect monitor the hardware on your computer. When it detects that certain changes have occured it requires that XP be reactivated.

If you have not made any changes then this is probably just a glitch in the software. Let it reactivate and forget it - It is not a scam and MS is not monitoring you.

g0nvs 22:15 07 Oct 05

Have changed the HDD, doubled the amount of RAM, changed the video card & changed the DVD Writer without having to re-activate XP OEM. I think a time element is taken in to account.

Forum Editor 23:15 07 Oct 05

You're right, it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…