Lesser sptted woodpecker - robber?

john bunyan 13:29 19 May 15
Answered

I have a number of tit nest boxes on a wall about 5m from my kitchen. Two seem occupied by great tits. Today I saw a lesser spotted woodpecker putting his head into the one small nest hole. I suppose one should not interfere but my wife did tap on the window and it flew away.

I did look this up and apparently this nest robbing is not uncommon, but I had not realised it until now.

Garden birds

sunnystaines 18:26 19 May 15

magpies been doing a lot of that round here too

Aitchbee 18:45 19 May 15

I've noticed recently, the odd magpie 'n' crow nickin' clumps of the stringy coir material from my hanging-baskets ... it's a win-win situation ... they get some nice bedding material and I get some really-really-wild-lookin' flower-basket-displays ;o)

morddwyd 19:39 19 May 15

Your link is to the Greater Spotted which does sometimes take nesting birds (not necessarily nestlings only).

My reference books have no records of the Lesser taking birds, or even small mammals.

The bird you saw might have been looking for spiders or wood boring larvae, their normal food.

bumpkin 17:41 20 May 15

a lesser spotted woodpecker

not often seen in my part of the woods.

john bunyan 19:15 20 May 15
Answer

On reflection maybe it was a greater spotted woodpecker. Smaller than a green one but bigger than a finch - about the size of a thrush

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…