legalsounds.com - is it?

silverous 15:11 05 Oct 07

Is it legal? I know a number of people who use it and are under the impression that it is given that they are paying for tracks and the site claims to be legal (in Russia). I can't believe it is at $0.09 to download a song! If something is legal in Russia, and you buy it via there from the internet, what is your position in the UK ?

Thanks

Silverous.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:45 05 Oct 07

No it is not, at least in the UK and the legality is a bit dubious in Russia.. AFAIK they do not pass on any money to copyright holders and a similar site was recently closed down as they lost their right to accept credit cards...I would be very dubious about releasing any of my CC details to this lot..consider your friends warned.

G

silverous 16:56 05 Oct 07

My advice to them has always been that I suspect it isn't legal.... in my view they were paying for something that could have been equally illegally downloaded for free :) I'm just trying to get my head round the legalities of it - would be good if someone could explain....

silverous 16:58 05 Oct 07

It does seem doubtful that they pass on any money to copyright holders but does that make it illegal to buyers? If Apple didn't do that in this country, for example, surely the legality of that is a matter for them not the consumer?

Or is it something along the lines of receiving stolen property?

Forum Editor 17:31 05 Oct 07

knowing that the provider doesn't have a licence from the copyright owner to distribute the file you are a party to the copyright breach.

It's very unlikely that you would be pursued by the copyright holder however, as long as you weren't downloading hundreds of tracks.

Of more concern is the danger associated with the files - you may be downloading more than you bargained for.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:31 05 Oct 07

click here will give you all the details.

G

mrwoowoo 02:58 07 Oct 07

This woman has just taken a hit for $220,000 for downloading/sharing approximately 1,702 songs on the Kazza file sharing site.
In Brittain she would most likely have got a suspended sentence.
click here

silverous 17:28 07 Oct 07

Yes, saw that. I don't think the downloading was the issue - it seems to be the people sharing they go after. Slightly different to this scenario though as I was talking about a site selling songs purporting to be legal.

Forum Editor 18:57 07 Oct 07

The site has to get the songs in the first place, and they haven't got access to the music publishers' libraries, so where did they get them?

Distributing illegal music is just part of the story - you have to get it to distribute it, and you get it by downloading illegally, and so it goes on.

It's just possible that the site obtained the tracks by paying for them of course, and is hoping to make a profit by distributing millions of illegal copies. It's also possible that I just saw a pink pig fly past my office window.

WhiteTruckMan 19:10 07 Oct 07

fly on sundays.

WTM

silverous 10:15 08 Oct 07

"The site has to get the songs in the first place, and they haven't got access to the music publishers' libraries, so where did they get them?"

I presume they bought the CD and captured them, which may be perfectly legal in Russia where they claim to be adhering to and paying loyalties on a licence they claim to have. Does that make them "illegal copies" ?

That was really my original question.....who is commiting the crime and in which country?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant