Legal?

spikeychris 10:31 12 Aug 04

Short and sweet. Is copying SP2 to disk and giving it to dial up users legal?

Dan the Confused 10:41 12 Aug 04

Depends on the EULA I guess, but the answer is probably no. People will do it anyway though.

cga 11:01 12 Aug 04

I thought that the legality lay in the Licence and not the media? Although I could be wrong.

Sure, for the base system the end user often has a holographic CD - but often does not in the case of some of the big OEM suppliers.

With SP2 that MS is trying to get out there by any means I would suspect there is not a problem - providing this is only an updates disk and not a slipstreamed CD with the base code.

Incidentally, if news reports are correct, SP2 will be supplied to mags for cover CD's which, I think, is slightly unusual. FE, maybe you know more about this?

ventanas 11:24 12 Aug 04

Never considered that angle, but have done it myself. Stuck on dialup at home. I will make some enquiries.

ventanas 11:30 12 Aug 04

From MS web site "The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP2 for download, please send e-mail to: [email protected].

So are all those other sites offering illegal downloads? Still working on the orginal question.

ventanas 11:39 12 Aug 04

I have just run this through FAST and yes you can. Provided you are passing the copy on to someone who has a legal copy of Windows.

cga 12:47 12 Aug 04

That makes sense. However, sense and legality don't always go together :-)

spikeychris 16:54 12 Aug 04

ventanas, thanks for that. Can you just confirm that I can make copies of SP2 and pass them on to users with dial up that own a licenced version of XP.

Dorsai 17:50 12 Aug 04

I guess this may boil down to if you charge for the disk or not.

If you give it away free, then i would imagine it's OK, as they can get it them self for free from microsoft. If you are chaging for the disk then i guess that you cant.

Perhaps you should just lend them the disk, and then it's no different from lending a friend somthing copyrighted (i would guess). they use it, then give it back. Like borroring a video, watching it, then giving it back?

I look forward to the offical, legall correct answer though.

Forum Editor 18:06 12 Aug 04

1. It's free.

2. There's no CD key or registration code.

3. There's no difference between downloading and installing from a CD.

So, provided you are not 'distributing' the software - in other words, offering it to all and sundry via a website, or a stall in a car boot sale etc. - I see no reason why you shouldn't make a copy for a friend who has a dial-up connection. That's a personal opinion, and is not in any way 'official'. Neither is an opinion from FAST - only Microsoft may sanction multiple copying and/or distribution of their property.

The worry from Microsoft's point of view is that a person receiving an 'unofficial' CD copy has no real way of telling whether the software is in some way corrupted, or contains viruses. That's why the company would only licence bona fide trusted sources as distributors.

Under no circumstances whatsoever should anyone consider making multiple copies for distribution - even to a few friends. Make a copy for one friend and I think you would be in the clear, personally I can see no reason to think otherwise. You're on your own though, and nothing I say should be construed as condoning copyright infringement.

Dorsai 18:37 12 Aug 04

Valid points.

especially

"The worry from Microsoft's point of view is that a person receiving an 'unofficial' CD copy has no real way of telling whether the software is in some way corrupted, or contains viruses. That's why the company would only licence bona fide trusted sources as distributors. "

I personally would not obtain a copy, in the back-door ways you name, just coz of the virus(trojan/malware) issue you mention.

FAST= Federation Against Software Theft? i asume.
Can you steal someting that is free to anyone who asks? Grey legal quagmire approaching. I will just download for own use, and avoid the issue.

FAST? or do you mean FACT? IF not, what is FAST?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…