Learning

rawprawn 17:39 21 Jan 08

Good evening gentlemen, I have never posted here before, but felt that there may be some interesting answers.
I have been a member of this forum for some years, I came here as a complete novice, and asked how to get out of various predicaments (I still do)
Hope fully I have learned a lot over the years, but I am no expert. I am as you all must know a continual tinkerer but I feel that making mistakes, and finding out how to correct them is the essence of becoming computer literate.

Well?

DrScott 18:22 21 Jan 08

to Speakers' Corner then.

Your comments about sum up most of us.

Three holes in the ground? Well well well.

Forum Editor 18:23 21 Jan 08

there used to be a system of craft training called 'sitting by Nellie'. Nellie (or Betty, or Sue, or Ruby, etc.) was highly-skilled, and very experienced, and new employees who wanted to learn the trade were told to 'sit by Nellie' for a few weeks and watch how she did things. Nellie would quickly sum up the strengths and weaknesses of a new recruit, and would either turn out a fully-skilled operative, or tell the foreman they were wasting their time. It worked wonderfully, and hundreds of thousands of craft-workers were trained in this way.In time of course, some of them became 'Nellie' themselves, and in this way skills were passed from generation to generation - it was a kind of apprenticeship without the formalities.

Computing can be a highly complex subject, or it can be relatively simple - it all depends on how far you want to take it in a personal sense. There are formal qualifications, and there are lots of training centres, but the majority of home-users teach themselves, with a bit of help from magazines and friends - or often from their children, if they have them.

If you have time to spare you can certainly learn a great deal just by fiddling around, but to be frank that can be a very long-winded way of learning. It's all out there on the internet however, and forums like ours have undoubtedly contributed a great deal in terms of providing 'askers' with 'tellers' - you ask a question, and invariably someone will tell you the answer; usually within a pretty short space of time.

wee eddie 18:29 21 Jan 08

If you are about to start fiddling ~ Visit YouTube and feed your task into the Search Engine.

There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of "How to" Clips out there.

Forum Editor 18:36 21 Jan 08

welcome to Speakers Corner.

lotvic 18:39 21 Jan 08

"Well?"
Yes I am, all things considered, thank you.
Unfortunately that is more than can be said of my 'spare' pc as my last lot of tinkering has rendered one HDD ready for an Acronis Image restore.
Fear not, in about 10 mins it will have recovered from my efforts to improve it and then I can start all over again :)))

oresome 18:52 21 Jan 08

The helpful replies don't stop at computers!

The FE for instance is a dab hand at plumbing and somebody can usually point you in the right direction on most subject matters.

On this particular forum we all like to think we have the solutions to the world's ills............if only.

Computers are probably one of the few consumer items left that you can tinker with. Long may you be able to tinker with yours and learn from and enjoy the experience.

Most of my pc learning has been through mistakes. But then, as the FE says, that is annoyingly long winded - i'm still substantially less proficient than many folk here. I meant to write up what ive learnt here in a Word or Notebook file, but still havent as yet.

Forum Editor 19:05 21 Jan 08

is a dab hand at plumbing"

Ermm.. he might be a dab hand at the theory of plumbing, but don't let him anywhere near a crow's-foot wrench. His wife calls a real plumber at the slightest sign of trouble.

Bingalau 19:35 21 Jan 08

FE. Your wife calls "A proper man" in, is the correct expression I believe.

Bingalau 19:42 21 Jan 08

rawprawn. I have read tips from you in the helproom in the past I am sure. I know your photo is also somewhere in one of the threads too. So it surprises me that you have never contributed to this forum. Welcome, come and have the occasional laugh and if you can solve some of Brumas's postcard mysteries, feel free to do so.. He will be delighted. So will all the other frustrated ones amongst us. By the way there are some ladies in our company.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…