Law invovling fines

antony.dandrea 18:19 21 Jan 09

If a Library has a policy of fining a person a certain amount wen they do not return a book at the deadline, the person should be alerted of the policy before they withdraw the book.

What Law/Act and article number, would this fall under.

Any help would be good. (actual lawers even better:))

Doctor

Noldi 18:30 21 Jan 09

Probably in the terms and conditions when you join.

Noldi

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:31 21 Jan 09

All libraries have a set of terms and conditions available at the reception desk or online (for instance... click here). It is the responsibility of the user to familiarise themselves with them not the responsibility of the library.

As with ALL laws in the UK, ignorance is not a defence and the only person(s) who could possibly not understand that late returns are fined are those who cannot read...which kind of precludes them from using a library in any case. It is up to the individual to ascertain the legal implications and not any institute.

Ipso facto, my case rests, M'Lud

G

antony.dandrea 18:31 21 Jan 09

But is there a aw that requires it to be in the terms and conditions, which it isnt

Pesala 18:32 21 Jan 09

I am sure it was on the form you filled in when you joined the library. Pay up and don't make the same mistake again is the only sensible thing to do.

Forum Editor 18:34 21 Jan 09

The library will be acting under the provisions of the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964, which gives all public libraries the right to make a charge for overdue items. The act doesn't specify the amount of the charges - it allows each local authority or library service to set its own charges.

It's not up to the library to tell you about the law, any more than it's up to the Police to tell you it's illegal to break into someone's house and rob them.

tullie 18:54 21 Jan 09

Agree FE,maybe the books been out for about 10yrs,which is why the posters concerned.Wonder if you can be imprisoned lol

wellshgit 19:35 21 Jan 09

I hope they throw the book at him ;0)

antony.dandrea 19:36 21 Jan 09

I understand these laws. But a school library, can not suddenly charge a late charge that you didnt know there was in the first place???

antony.dandrea 20:05 21 Jan 09

help pleez ansa

Si_L 20:08 21 Jan 09

Unless the charges are wildly disproportionate, ie £5 for a couple of days late, then just pay the fine and learn by your mistakes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…