Latest space flight technology.

Blackhat 17:52 07 Feb 08

Fantastic advance in space flight technology!

‘Japanese origami experts have made a specially designed aircraft to be launched from the International Space Station and to return to Earth unassisted.’

click here

I have folded some pretty good planes in my time but being made of paper I never expected any to survive re-entry.

They claim that due to its size and weight it will not suffer from the usual high temperatures during re-entry but surely it will start to re-enter at the speed of the ISS and only slow down due to the drag of the atmosphere. By the way, in the video clip it failed in the wind tunnel!

Blackhat 18:09 07 Feb 08

Sorry, the link only goes to the main technology page, scoll down to 'origami plane in space launch' video.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 07 Feb 08

They are cheating

going to get the Post office to return to sender :0)

Wilham 23:07 07 Feb 08

If as an experiment an astronaut on spacewalk released a bird feather, I would not expect it to burn up in its return to Earth. The mass is very small relative to exposed area, and I suggest the conversion of kinetic and gravitational energy into heat would be spread over a long time and be gentle, despite its initial speed, perhaps 18000mph.

As I see it, much the same can be said for a released paper aeroplane.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…