The latest poll on phones

WhiteTruckMan 01:30 17 Jun 07

Has got me thinking. I dont change phones all that often. In fact I am on my second one in ten years (excluding company phones). But whats important to me is battery life. I like a phone to go at least a week between charges. But it seems to me that battery technology hasnt advanced at the same rate as the rest of the phones have. With the addition of bigger, colour screens, radio, mp3, bluetooth, internet access, GPS, cameras, fancy ringtones, video playback, games and probably a few other stuff as well, batteries dont seem to last very long. Case in point: I have a friend who has a nokia N95. Very nice piece of kit, lots of features which he does use a lot, but sometimes he only gets a battery life of about 2-3 hours between charges! I did some digging online for him and apparently its not unknown for that phone.

So. I wonder how many people have phones with disappointing battery lives? Or who have expensive phones with lots of features that they never use?

WTM

Si_L 02:02 17 Jun 07

No one had a problem when phones were bulky, in fact older phones are only considered bulky because we are constantly redefining the word 'thin' when it comes to mobiles.

I personally wouldn't mind if a much bigger battery was put into my E900, it wouldn't weigh that much more and if it doubled battery life, that could only be a good thing. On normal use I get about 2-3 days on mine. I use all the features on it though.

georgemac © 08:13 17 Jun 07

I have a sony k800i - bought mainly for the camera as I thought it would be good to always have a 3 megapixel camera in my pocket. Truth is I hardly use it and don't really use any of the phones features, just really use the phone.

Battery life on it is very good though, but I don't use it a lot.

Got it on a cashback contract deal, the first cheque came back yesterday so it is going to cost me just over £10 a month on a 12 month contract, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

laurie53 09:01 17 Jun 07

If you don't use it a lot what are you paying £10 a month for?

Wouldn't you be better with one of these voucher thingies?

Laurie

Steve- 09:12 17 Jun 07

I agree with WhiteTruckMan the main thing I want from a phone is battery life, I'm not interested in the poser bit's just want to talk, a nice contrasty B&W screen would be fine, it doesn't need to be able to sing, dance and play tunes!

crosstrainer 09:25 17 Jun 07

I have a new xda on contract, it has all the bells and whistles including satnav. Battery life is excellent expect when using the satnav on battery power alone. Windows mobile and all it's apps do not tax the battery unduly, and I charge it about once every 5 days. With 800 mins and 1000 texts included for 40 quid a month a make most of my calls from it, even if at home. Battery life remains good.

Bingalau 09:44 17 Jun 07

The phone poll does not give the choice of what I would look most for in a mobile phone, which is just one that is a phone and nothing else. I think then battery life might be a little or even a lot better.

georgemac © 09:52 17 Jun 07

hated my last handset, a motorola v3, great for going in the pocket but the software was crap, had to push too many buttons to send a text

the sony phone is easier to use, but is more bulky for the pocket (because of the camera), £10 per month for a new handset and 200 mins and 75 texts works out cheaper for me than PAYG voucher thingies

My daughter now has a very nice slim samsung handset with a 3 megapixel camera, it is a d900 I think.

Totally-braindead 10:11 17 Jun 07

I've got the Samsung E600 and I rather like it but one of my mates had the same phone and hated it. Goes to show we all like different things. Mine lasts about 3 days between charges but like many others I don't use it much its more for people to get hold of me rather than the other way about.
Just in case I forget to charge it I also bought a second battery, about £4 off Ebay and that has proved useful the couple of times I did forget to charge it.

WhiteTruckMan 16:31 17 Jun 07

for a low cost limited (just voice and text)function handset. One so cheap that its virtually disposable. So cheap even that its resale value is nil, rendering it too much trouble to steal. I'm tempted to call it a niche market, but that by definition is a small one, and I think it would be bigger than that.

But how many people would buy a cheap basic sim free PAYG handset, possibly with no battery but a power lead to plug into a vehicle, as a spare/emergency handset. Maybe priced around £12-£15? I think I would be there in the queue for one or two!

WTM

spuds 16:58 17 Jun 07

My mobile as things that I will never use, or even know how to. Basic urgent or emergency use only, and that is possibly why I had to buy a replacement battery due to lack of use!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5