Latest Poll

laurie53 08:09 13 Mar 09

What's a social engineering scam?

(Not being sarcastic or anything, I genuinely don't know!)

wiz-king 08:15 13 Mar 09

Facebook? etc

laurie53 08:18 13 Mar 09

Is `Facebook a scam?

WhiteTruckMan 08:37 13 Mar 09

something most of us know already, but some people decided to hang a clever sounding tag on it for reasons of their own that the rest of us can only guess at.

And no, I dont know what it is either.

WTM

Chegs ®™ 08:40 13 Mar 09

Social engineering

The usual starting point for dirty tricks, scams and fraud is "social engineering" -- the art of getting people to drop their guard. A good social engineer can get many people do something or reveal something when they'd ordinarily refuse. Good virus writers carefully engineer their email message to get people to open their virus-carrying attachment.

bremner 09:09 13 Mar 09

Looking at the voting after 169 votes 26% have said they have never had a PC security issue.

Of those how many have actually never had a PC Security issue they are aware of?

carver 09:30 13 Mar 09

Too true, if you don't know it's on your PC how do you know you haven't got one.

bremner 12:20 13 Mar 09

You may be right but the old saying about assumptions can't be ignored.

laurie53 08:24 14 Mar 09

Obviously not even the editorial staff know what they are on about!

I had hoped that Simon would have given us some idea by now!

Forum Editor 08:50 14 Mar 09

Put simply it's a way of manipulating a situation to get people to provide you with personal information which you may later use for illicit purposes.

You might approach someone on the pretext of doing an on-line survey about peoples' shopping habits, for instance, and use the information to break into their homes while they're at Waitrose.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:37 14 Mar 09

Surely anyone that owns a computer has had a virus or at least some form of malware or spyware.

Every time I surf the net I need to get rid of a tracking cookie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple