The latest Poll

pj123 16:40 25 Nov 07

Quote:

"Criminals now have millions of people's bank details, and no-one should feel secure."

Lots of people have my bank details. Every time I issue a cheque it has all the details on it.

Sort Code, Account Number, Account Name and Bank Address.

That doesn't mean they can get money out whenever they like. They can pay money in though, which would be nice.

Which means, of course, I'm not bothered how many people have my bank details.

anskyber 17:08 25 Nov 07

"a lot of people get excited about things the media tell them to be excited about."

Is close to the mark.

pj123 has pointed out quite correctly that basic details are available through things we give out freely. (for payments at least!)

I'm not sure what else may be of use, I think in fact it's the NI numbers which are the key bits of data.

spuds 17:12 25 Nov 07

That is the point though, they can get money out, if they have the knowledge to do so.

Even this recent fiasco of the lost disks, I noticed in yesterdays papers that there were large scale 'adverts' from the relevant people about security, and not to worry. Yet at the same time, they even offered a free 2 month subscription to a special security programme.

Diemmess 17:13 25 Nov 07

... that made it possible, ought, to worry everyone!

NOT because of this batch of data, but because mindset and the sheer incompetence of the management from the very top right down to local office managers.

The whole idea of computer databases and how much they can be inter-related, is some holy cow with our myriad-minister government.

The men at the top seek advice from similar minds further down the pecking order.
It always seems to be the bean counters, legal advisors, and trusted friends who make policy, but do not encourage true experts in secutity who come at a price.

They are more likely to accept the vague promises from dodgy operators keen to secure an open ended contract for a "good price"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About 15 years ago friend whose business was system software support, was call in to a not too distant water authority to restore a crashed system.

There was no routine backup system in existance.
The MD, when shocked with the news that accounts office would have to close while the system was rebuilt said ... "Why?" I have a Pentium!" (His personal PC!)

anskyber 17:25 25 Nov 07

I'm afraid you lost any power in your argument by the use of sweeping unsubstantiated generalisations.

jakimo 18:01 25 Nov 07

I'm somewhat surprised that some people are "not bothered" by the unknown whereabouts of the 2 disc's, if there is no reason for being bothered why then is the government,not the press,advising those whose details are on the said disc's should regularly check their bank accounts,and the NI numbers come in handy I gather when creating false passports,,perhaps the government just wants to create a panic

Forum Editor 00:59 26 Nov 07

You're right, of course - every time you issue a cheque you publish your bank account details. You've missed the really important point however, which is that you issue the cheque, you're the one providing the information, and you're doing so voluntarily.

If you provide your details to a government agency you do so voluntarily, but you have the right (in law) to expect that agency to safeguard the information - not to send it halfway across the country on a CD via a normal courier service and subsequently discover that it was lost en-route. In that scenario you have lost your voluntary right - it's not you letting others have your details, it's the careless government agency failing to fulfil its basic obligation to you.

Forum Editor 01:03 26 Nov 07

anskyber's right - there are too many sweeping and unsubstantiated generalisations in your post for it to have much validity.

"They are more likely to accept the vague promises from dodgy operators keen to secure an open ended contract for a "good price"" is something that you cannoy possibly substantiate - it's just your opinion. How do you know that the government is likely to accept vague promises made by "dodgy operators"?

carver 08:40 26 Nov 07

So I suppose that just because someone has managed to lose some small details about 25 million people I shouldn't be worried.

If I give a check to someone it doesn't include minor details like my date of birth, national insurance No, address, how long I've lived at my home, how many children I have or their ages, home Tel No is also not included, also included are other minor details such as a child's parents, and please remember that this could include if the child is adopted.

Just think about all the details that have to be put down on a form to claim child benefit and then write them down on a piece of paper, would you then be careless enough to just leave them so that any one can get that information.

With these details they don't have to access your bank account, they can get their own credit cards in your name, set up a mortgage the list goes on.

No of cause you shouldn't be worried, so just bury your head in the sand and hope it gets better, and remember, if ID cards ever get off the ground, just think of the information that will hold on every body(apart from the criminal WHO is using your ID)

Diemmess 11:18 27 Nov 07

I retract the ill thought out sweeping statements I made.
I'm beginng to live again from the depths of real English type influenza and hopefully actually thinking again!

I am still certain that we should worry.

Not about the information which may or may not have fallen into unauthorised hands, but about the fact that it happened at all!

It really is silly that data is so easily extracted/for copies, rather than having to be accessed and used within a properly secure system.

spuds 12:09 27 Nov 07

I notice that a number of other concerning matters, of a similar nature are now coming to light. Where will it all end?.

Reading an article yesterday, I note that the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)had found a flaw with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) database for visa applications from abroad. Apparently 50.000 applicant's details 'could be seen'. It was a customer who alerted the relevant bodies to this over-site, in December 2005, yet the flaw remained in place and the FCO only admitted this problem earlier this year. The running of the FCO website was outsourced to an independent company, who have now had their contract terminated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…