Latest PC Advisor Poll

Jackcoms 20:44 01 Dec 05

It seems to me that there should be a fifth possible answer to the question "which games console will win out in 2006?"

"Who cares?"

stalion 20:48 01 Dec 05

you don't have to participate in the poll.The feedback is useful to the people that post the poll's.

SG Atlantis® 20:58 01 Dec 05

"who cares?"

That's the answer they get when you don't answer

*scratches head

I mean take part.

stalion's right

€dstowe 22:12 01 Dec 05

The "who cares" response can be very important to surveys in much the same way as the "don't know" response.

VoG II 22:22 01 Dec 05

As I understand it from responses to my questions/comments on previous surveys the PCA team do not need to cover all eventualities - it is just a 'straw poll'.

I find this quite disturbing as I have seen the results published in the magazine and no doubt some readers will treat the findings as gospel.

I have in the past, and will again, urge that a professional polling organisation should be employed. I can predict perfectly the response.

PurplePenny 22:51 01 Dec 05

I looked for that answer too.

Dan the Doctus 23:07 01 Dec 05

As I read it, the poll simply asks which console we think will be the most successful next year. I said Xbox (and I'm probably wrong) based on what I've read, which isn't a great deal. I see no reason for taking the poll too seriously, and there's no obligation to vote. The results may simply be of interest to others.

Forum Editor 23:09 01 Dec 05

Why don't you look at this from another point of view?

Let's assume that what we're after are the views of people who DO care about such things. They are the people who (presumably) will respond to the options. Someone who doesn't care simply won't take part - what would be the point? Adding an option for "who cares?" would just be silly, and if you think about it for a moment you'll realise that.

As for "a professional polling organisation should be employed" we've crossed this bridge so many times in the past that I'm surprised anyone still hasn't understood. We're not running a 'professional' opinion poll - that would involve considerable expense and couldn't possibly be done online - it never can be, and none of the many thousands of sites which run similar polls to ours would ever claim that the results are a definitive and totally accurate reflection of public opinion. A professional polling organisation could not run such a poll on this, or any other public access site...ever.

Is that the answer you could "predict perfectly"?

As for some readers treating findings as gospel....surely most intelligent people can read? We always explain that the findings are the results of a forum poll, and they are. We're not talking about the future of the human race here - this is an online computer forum, and we simply want a snapshot of the way people react to options; try to understand that. Microsoft and Sony aren't going to base their production schedules on the results of our poll.

Starfox 23:36 01 Dec 05

Seems to have an aversion to any question relating to games or gaming un any shape or form.

Knikerbeine 23:39 01 Dec 05

I do

SG Atlantis® 07:31 02 Dec 05

PS3 will win just like it's older brothers did!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…