Last Of The Summer Wine...

Quickbeam 14:41 PM 17 Oct 11

I know that a lot of thought it was great, and I always thought it was past it's sell by date in the first series, so I just watched the first episode on Yesterday (don't ask why) and GOD! it never changed at all in all that time! Same gags, same slapstick, same dour cafe characters, same yawn...

I knew I was right when I said it was past it's sell by date by about 140 years...

Aitchbee 14:57 PM 17 Oct 11

I think you have to be over 80 to appreciate the 'cutting' humour.

morddwyd 15:27 PM 17 Oct 11

No, you simply have to see yourself, and friends, in the parts concerned.

Imagine them as teenagers, no work, no responsibility, except they're fifty years older.

It's simply an updated version of "The \Likely Lads".

Aitchbee 15:40 PM 17 Oct 11

In Scotland, we have a great comedy TV show about two old Glesga' geezers, called "Still Game". It's a hoot!

peter99co 17:15 PM 17 Oct 11

My nine year old thinks it's great. She watches the repeats as well.

I watch when it's on Gold. I know it's corny but so what. It's a laugh.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 PM 17 Oct 11

I always thought it was past it's sell by date in the first series, so I just watched the first episode on Yesterday

So you didn't like it the first time round but you watched it again?

Smacks a little of masochism - you want to be careful, you'll be tuning into all sorts of dross TV next :0)

Personally I wasn't too keen on the first series but it grew on me -- went on far too long though.

morddwyd 20:40 PM 17 Oct 11

Further to my reference to teenagers fifty years on.

I can remember being seen off by the night watchman at Thomas Owen's paper mill in Cardiff when we were trying to make off with three oil drums.

For what purpose? Well to get inside and roll down Caerau Hill of course!

There was also the incident of the home made mortar (projector, not cement), the cannons at Pembroke Castle and too many home made rafts which didn't float to even keep a record of!

I have no hesitation in saying that if Ian and Mitch were with me now we'd still be up for it, and I simply don't believe I'm the only one on this forum of similar mind.

Last of the Summer Wine was (is) a record of my youth, and a projection of my aspirations.

Quickbeam 05:48 AM 18 Oct 11

That's the best explanation I've read in favour of Last of the Summer Wine, but I still don't see how they got away with it for 40 years!

Crosstrainer2 07:01 AM 18 Oct 11

I'm afaid I was never a fan, SOmething about it left me a bit cold.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone