Last of original Newcastle Brown Ale

Seth Haniel 11:55 21 May 10

The home of Newcastle Brown Ale will close later, as 83 years of brewing the beer on Tyneside comes to an end.

click here

There's more Newcastle Brown Ale drunk now in America than is drunk in Britain

Uboat 12:08 21 May 10

BIG shame! im from north yorkshire & things are REALLY bad for jobs up here! this is a legandary company a big shame! thankx for the link seth!

interzone55 12:58 21 May 10

One day the big brewers will realise that the taste of a beer stems as much from the water used to make it as from the other ingredients.

Boddingtons brewed in Leicester & Preston is not a patch on the Boddingtons that used to be brewed in Ancoats...

Quickbeam 13:24 21 May 10

You could always buy some of the original while you can get it and 'lay it down' like wine... no?

michaelw 13:45 21 May 10

That's a shame.

I downed quite a few Newkies when I was there 30 years ago and got stuffed at dominos by the old locals. Happy days.

So Afraid 15:20 21 May 10

Boddingtons brewed in Leicester & Preston is not a patch on the Boddingtons that used to be brewed in Ancoats..

Ancoats? what about Srangeways.

interzone55 16:46 21 May 10

Yes, it was called Strangeways Brewery, but the area is Ancoats...

So Afraid 17:13 21 May 10

Always thought Stangeways came under cheetham.

al's left peg 18:19 21 May 10

I particularly like the quote from the former commercial director in the link Seth Haniel provided.

"Perhaps if the Geordies had of supported it more in recent years it would of still been around Tyneside"

I am from Newcastle and have commented on this issue on this forum before. His comment beggars belief, it really does.
When Scottish and Newcastle (S&N) bought the Federation Brewery in Gateshead. They were given grants from councils in the areas to ensure jobs and investment was protected. What they done was rape the brand and all the Federation brands that they accquired on the purchase of the Gateshead site. What a poor argument to say it is due to falling sales. If it sells more in America, why don't they brew it over there and import it back to this country? Which is incidentally has been mentioned to some of the poor buggers who have lost their livelyhoods today. All those at Tadcaster celebrating the arrival of this brand, don't be surprised if 3 years down the line it is moved to the good ole US of A!

So Afraid 12:14 22 May 10

alan14

I will get the spelling right now Strangeways.
I was only having a bit of fun because i do know that it was in cheetham and not Ancoats as you said,also there is another local brewery just further down the road in cheetham/hill called joseph holt and i have had many pints of both being a north manchester kid.

Clapton is God 13:30 22 May 10

"There's more Newcastle Brown Ale drunk now in America than is drunk in Britain"

I'm not in the least surprised.

No one has ever accused Americans of having good taste.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…