At Last. The "hidden" Gulf War.

morddwyd 10:08 17 Apr 10

After half a century, a programme about the first Gulf War, the secret one in the late fifties, in which I played a small part! (Channel 4, 8.30).

The one where we frequently had to rush out and unload all the live weapons because Chapman Pincher, the very astute defence correspondent of the Daily Express, and the Kate Adie of his day, had been seen boarding a private charter in Bahrain!

Be interesting to see if the programme does it justice, particularly the fact that all the captured weapons and explosives were to US military specifications, some in its original packaging.

johndrew 10:20 17 Apr 10

Is there a link? Or even a day?

bremner 10:32 17 Apr 10

Secret at the time maybe.

Tony Gerathy devotes a whole chapter to the two wars in Oman 1958/9 and 1970-72 in his 1980 book "Who Dares Wins The Story of the Special Air Service".

The Battle of Mirbat in 1972 is legendary; a mini Rourkes Drift.

morddwyd 10:39 17 Apr 10

Sorry - tonight, Saturday.

johndrew 14:29 17 Apr 10

Many thanks. It looks a bit like a programme that was on some years ago where various `actions` were reported during the `discussion` with the rebels in Dhofar.

Not only were serving members of the UK armed forces involved, as I remember there were quite a few ex-forces involved in operating and flying for the SOAF (one was my old boss from a Hunter squadron). The `contract` was with Airworks and those employed were often referred to as the `Airworks Fusiliers`.

There was also a medal issued at the end of it called the Victory in Dhofar medal - or VD for short!!!!

john bunyan 15:43 17 Apr 10

If it were not so secret at the time at least one (a Fijian corporal) of the SAS would have got the VC at the "Battle of Mirbat".

bremner 19:19 17 Apr 10

Thats true and it could also apply to Captain (Later Major) Mike Kealy and a few others.

It was tragic that Kealy died on exercise in the Brecons after surviving such a battle.

john bunyan 19:48 17 Apr 10

This type of thing is still going on. I believe the Americans wanted to give the Congressional Medal of Honour to one or more Special Forces guys in the early days of the recent Afghan conflict but I believe it ws vetoed by a former minister who was recently secretly filmed offering to work to help get contracts.

ronalddonald 22:59 17 Apr 10

ah the contracts word where we taxpayers are paying for this destruction of human life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009