At last - Google to warn of bad sites

Sethhaniel 14:07 07 Aug 06

Google has started warning users if they are about to visit a webpage that could harm their computer.
The warning will pop up if users click on a link to a page known to host spyware or other malicious programs.
The initiative comes out of a larger project cataloguing programs that plague people with unwanted ads, spy on web habits or steal personal data.
Google is one of several companies trying to act as an "in-flight adviser" to ensure people stay safe online.
click here AND
click here

Jimmy14 14:42 07 Aug 06

I think it's a good move on protecting the public against malicious and harmful sites.

anskyber 18:33 07 Aug 06

Good. I do not want to start yet another debate about censorship et al but you do wonder whether the bad sites should even be recorded on a Google search given the mal-intent of the virus/spyware etc.

octal 18:55 07 Aug 06

Interesting, I'm glad they are not blocking sites which would be censorship, but they are being responsible by giving people the choice in the form of a warning. Thumbs up for Google.

The sites who have the warning, I wonder what their take will be on it though, maybe clean up their act? Hope so.

gudgulf 22:45 07 Aug 06

An alternative is McAfee's SiteAdvisor plugin click here

You can get it for IE and Firefox...well worth a look.

Jimmy14 23:32 07 Aug 06

Yes I like that program, have used it for ages.

Sethhaniel 09:24 08 Aug 06

"We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. "
and you then have to type in jumbled letters that appear to continue searching - but no next button?????!!!

Searches are even harder as this above happens -
well I always preffered Yahoo for searching ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos