Laser etching anyone?

De Marcus™ 00:16 01 Apr 06

Not my cup of tea but an interesting technology none the least...

click here

click here

click here

wiz-king 07:18 01 Apr 06

To etch the company logo onto a range of wooden boxes that we use on our display stands. If you choose a fine-grained light wood it looks really nice and the detail is superb.

octal 07:42 01 Apr 06

That last link is interesting. In Downtown Disney in Orlando there is a shop where they sell all glassware and you can have a picture of yourself taken and the picture is then etched into a glass block, I think other places do it, probably cheaper than the mouse house.

watchful 13:54 01 Apr 06

Very interesting. How uncanny the likenesses in the crystal blocks. Great detail.

De Marcus™ 14:21 01 Apr 06

I find the glass etched 'human' ones a tad spooky...

ade.h 17:01 01 Apr 06

One of my bike frames (with hard anodising rather than a paint finish) had a laser etching option. It's great because it looks really sharp and never wears off!

spuds 17:59 01 Apr 06

I remember the days, when a cut potato, sharp pointed knife, tin of paint and a bit of artistry made people gasp :o))

rmcqua 18:58 01 Apr 06

...are wonderful tools (toys in my case). I have access to one at the school where I work. The only problem is that I can't find enough time to fiddle with it! Some of the kids have just finished working on GCSE projects with electronic gadgets housed in bautifully etched coloured acrylic boxes. They are almost as addicted to it as I am!

LastChip 23:44 01 Apr 06

What a superb tool.

I wonder how long it will be, before companies have their logo etched on laptops as part of the procurement process? In terms of security and identification, this could well be another step in the right direction.

Certainly, although the equipment is expensive, it would be a drop in the ocean for the likes of Dell, HP, or Gateway and initially at least, a unique selling point. Personalise your laptop - add $20!

De Marcus™ 00:04 02 Apr 06

Quick question:

Is laser etching a long procedure?

I'm presuming it is, based on how long it takes a laser printed disk to complete, is this correct?

I realise different designs, scale and end output are all factors, but generally is it a long process?

Curious now.......

wiz-king 07:01 02 Apr 06

About 10 minutes. After all ts only a photocopier on steroids and with muscles on its lamp!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5