Laptop 'linked to plunge'

Seth Haniel 11:00 10 Oct 08

A Qantas flight that led to dozens of injuries may have been caused by a passenger using a wireless device, it has been reported.
( Yahoo News today)

Monoux 11:40 10 Oct 08

Oh -- so when mobile phones are allowed perhaps it won't even get off the ground then :0)

rickf 12:03 10 Oct 08

People are very selfish and irresponsible beyond belief. I was on a flight last year and a passenger started arguing with the stewardess when she told him to stop using it just before take off. I am ashamed to say that along with others I did not intervene. Next time I would ( on reflection) as it was putting my life and those of others at risk

Forum Editor 12:42 10 Oct 08

the incident say it is far too early to guess at the cause or causes, and that speculation that the culprit was a passenger's wireless device is just that - pure speculation. Various reports have mentioned a Bluetooth mouse, a set of wireless headphones, and a laptop.

As always, it's probably best to wait for some authoritative information. It might have been a laptop, it might not - we'll all find out eventually.

PalaeoBill 17:54 10 Oct 08

The US TV programme Mythbusters carried out a number of tests with mobile phones and other wireless devices and could not get them to interfere with any aviation equipment.
They also tried to cause a spark in a petrol filling station (or gas station as they called it) with a mobile phone and again could not achieve this.

I am extremely interested to discover what happened and what really caused it.

canarieslover 18:50 10 Oct 08

Hospitals always have notices up advising the switching of of mobile phones due to the possibility of interference with hospital equipment. They must have special mobiles for the staff as theirs don't seem to have the same effect, or do they?

laurie53 20:33 10 Oct 08

Windshear.

Pineman100 17:45 12 Oct 08

"Windshear".

Yup. Aircraft have been making sudden, uncontrolled descents since long before laptops and mobile phones came to pass. The explanation has invariably been windshear.

Pesala 15:23 14 Oct 08
  Forum Editor 16:20 14 Oct 08

nothing to do with a passenger's laptop, a wireless mouse, or wireless headphones, or any of the other dozen or so theories........it was a fault in one of the on-board computers, the one that detects the aircraft's flying attitude and makes corrections accordingly.

Condom 19:16 14 Oct 08

Now we know why the Captain always reminds people to keep their seat belts on all the time. I was in an Airbus a couple of years ago that suddenly decided it was going to attack a squadron of other planes 2000 ft below and promptly did one of these wonderful banks that you see so often in war films. I don't think Airbuses were actually built to do this sort of manoeuvre but boy was it exiting, sorry I think I mean terrifying. That was also put down to a computer glitch or perhaps it was the stewardess spilling coffee over the pilots whatyoumacallits.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…