Ken Dodd

Brumas 17:43 04 Nov 07

Not being an overtly religious person I seldom, if ever watch Songs of Praises, however I watched tonight’s programme because I quite like Ken Dodd and really enjoyed it.

This prompted me to wonder why he hasn’t been made a Sir yet? He seems a genuinely nice person who does lots of good in the community he has elected to remain in. After all, he has just turned 80 and shows no sign of slowing down; you have to admire his spirit.

hzhzhzhz 17:50 04 Nov 07

definately time that he was Sir Ken.A very funny man indeed.

TopCat® 17:53 04 Nov 07

could be his alleged brush with the tax man that has lessened his selection chances.

I feel this comic genius is long overdue recognition for his great charitable work and the peerless laughter he has afforded this nation over these many years. TC.

Stuartli 18:19 04 Nov 07

This point was made on TV recently when Ken Dodd was celebrating his long show business career and, IIRC, his 80th birthday.

The man is incredible. How anyone can tell jokes for up to four hours at a time without repeating himself is remarkable, especially in view of his age.

What's more it's clean humour when in front of a public audience, although he can tailor his private gigs to the audiences' tastes..:-)

VoG II 18:36 04 Nov 07

Don't get me wrong - Kenn Dodd is fantastic...

... but wasn't there a little issue of him forgetting to pay tax some years back?

Brumas 18:56 04 Nov 07

The only other comedian I can think of who has been honoured, and quite rightly too, is Sir Norman Wisdom.
Oh, I forgot Terry Wogan - he is a joke!

Al94 18:59 04 Nov 07

VoG™, there was a much publicised court case lasting three months but he was acquitted.

hzhzhzhz 19:07 04 Nov 07

" I told the Inland Revenue I didn't owe them a penny because I lived by the seaside".

Earthsea 19:09 04 Nov 07

Time to ditch the honours system, I think. Has no place in a modern democracy.

spuds 19:26 04 Nov 07

Lester Piggott lost his knighthood, Ken Dodd may have never been offered one, yet Jeffrey Archer remains the same. Strange thing this honours list!.

beeuuem 19:36 04 Nov 07

"Time to ditch the honours system, I think. Has no place in a modern democracy."
Possibly true but we live in the UK (:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos