Kazaa goes legal - as expected.

Forum Editor 23:44 27 Jul 06

The previously illegal Kazaa has agreed to pay $100 million in damages to the record industry, and will become a legal 'pay per track' download site.

click here

Bit by bit, illegal downloading is being stopped it seems, but that was written on the wall a long time ago.

Flak999 12:41 28 Jul 06

Still up and running this morning!

packettracer 14:51 28 Jul 06

Never used it, have i missed something?

DieSse 22:07 28 Jul 06

Why this is probably rotten deal for everyone, and how Napster may have had a far superior solution. click here

I wonder who gets what out of the $100million?

gudgulf 22:17 28 Jul 06

Bets it goes mostly to legal fees!

Forum Editor 22:50 28 Jul 06

will continue to trot out the same tired old arguments that they've been peddling for ages, but those of us who really understand how the world works knew all along that there can only be one eventual outcome.

Societies make laws for a reason, and the observance of them by the vast majority is the only way to have a truly civilised community. In the end, illegal downloading will become something that's practised by a small hard core of law-breakers. It will be increasingly difficult for volume file-sharers to operate, ISPs will take action to stop them, and the music indistry will do the same.

No ISP can hope to be able to examine every file its customers download so other means must be found for weeding out these filesharers. To my simple mind the answer is obvious - put a limit of say 1Gb per month on all UPLOADS.This will not impact on those that legally download large amounts including streaming audio/video; and since most of us only upload small amounts, only those who originally put out the files will suffer.

Forum Editor 07:03 29 Jul 06

ISPs monitor bandwidth consumption - both downstream and upstream - so they can detect those people who are transferring unusually large amounts of data.

€dstowe 07:26 29 Jul 06

I've never used Kazaa or anything related but I'm curious about these "dedicated downloaders".

Do they download vast amounts of whatever it is they download to listen to/view the results of their efforts or do they download "just because it's there" and, being "slightly" on the wrong side of the law, so they experience some sort of frisson in doing so?

Forum Editor 16:12 29 Jul 06

They don't just download - they upload too, and that's just as much a problem. In file-sharing, one person's upload is another's download.

DieSse 17:42 29 Jul 06

One way or another, the music industry will be dragged into the modern era - just as they were when they tried (and failed) to protect sheet music sales when records became widely available, just as they were when they tried (and failed) to stop radio from broadcasting music, just as they tried (and failed) to stop VCRs becoming widespread.

I (nor anyone else) can predict right now quite how it'll happen - but happen it will.

It's no good being self-righteous ad-nauseam about law breaking - that's not what the issue is about - it's about how laws should be framed in the current (and forthcoming) era of fast moving technology, to protect the wider public interest - that of not just providers, but also consumers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…