Just how risky is a cystoscopy likely to be?

Armchair 21:06 08 Aug 08

Because it looks as if I'm going to be enduring just such a procedure in a few weeks time. The consultant did say that there was a risk of infection and/or bleeding, which sounds bad enough, but a bit of Googling hints at even worse possibilities. I'm getting 'cold feet' already!

Any input on this?

MAJ 21:20 08 Aug 08

Had it done last year, Armchair. Be assured, there is no pain, it was plain sailing and you can watch it all on the screen as the Doc does it. The only annoying bit of the whole process is when it's all finished, since they use a lot of fluid during the process, you have to use the loo about 20,000 times in half an hour. he whole process from entering the clinic/hospital to going back to your car is about 1.5 hours, that includes peeing time.

Bingalau 21:36 08 Aug 08

That's some peeing Major.
Armchair. Stop googling and stop worrying, it's as simple as that. Never read a medical book either. Leave that to the docs. Let them do the worrying. They have to tell you the risks but they probably told you the percentages and you were not listening properly....

Armchair 21:39 08 Aug 08

Thanks for that. I need all the reassurance I can get! So you can actually drive there and back? I thought there might be a 24 hour period where you couldn't or something like that?

I should state that I have had the camera 'up the other end' before, and that was awful, mainly due to the enema I had to take the day before. So I have had some experience of this sort of thing. This sounded a bit more risky, though. Easily damaged............ Oh well.

Armchair 21:43 08 Aug 08

Bingalau. No, I asked if there were any risks, and the reply was as stated in my initial post. No mebntion of potential bladder tearing etc. Won't be for 4 to 6 weeks, so I have plenty of time to scare the bejezzuz out of myself, lol.

Funnily enough and almost off topic, I am considering packing in the internet, for a year or two anyway. I need to be become more active. I think all this sitting around typing away is contributing to the problems I'm having atm. And I could save some cash.

Bingalau 21:52 08 Aug 08

Armchair .. Go line dancing like me and get a hernia.

Armchair 21:56 08 Aug 08

Heh, bloke I work with had an NHS hernia operation this year. Off 8 weeks for that, and now he's off because the camera did some sort of internal damage, and he's quite poorly (and off work again). Which doesn't give me much confidence for my forthcoming optical experience, lol.

MAJ 22:07 08 Aug 08

Yes I drove there and back, Armchair, there's no anesthetic as such involved. They do pour some freezing cold liquid over your do-dah which has the effect of both numbing the area and saving your blushes if you get a reaction to some of the prettier nurses that might be there, if you know what I mean, lol.

Bingalau 22:26 08 Aug 08

Armchair. Mine was a pretty big hernia. Operated on at about 19.00 hrs. Recovery room about 21.00 hrs. and I was still out of the hospital the next morning. Got home about 11.00 hrs. My biggest problem afterwards was with my swollen privates. Took two weeks to get anywhere near back to normal. I think hospitals like to get you out as soon as possible, probably something to do with turnover figures?

laurie53 08:54 09 Aug 08

I've had several.

Some discomfort, particularly first few pees afterwards, which will be many and often, but this only lasts an hour or so.

I did pick up a severe hospital acquired infection at one of them, but that could have happened during any invasive procedure.

As an aside, that infection left me in bed for three weeks, as a result of which I kicked a fifty year old smoking habit!

No problem driving, but plan your route via easily accessible toilets - you won't have time to be looking for a parking space!

Cymro. 11:57 09 Aug 08

I had a cystoscopy earlier this year.
No problem whatsoever just a little degrading and embarrassing as many such things are. The actual gadget is only in your body for a few minutes and as has been said you can watch it all on the screen.

The good thing I found was that you can usually have an instant result there and then from the doctor (a negative in my case) none of this having to wait for results to return from the lab.

AS for any risks, the chances of any problem are very small and much less than if the test was not done. If the staff do their work properly, as I am sure they will, they will put your mind at rest and the whole thing will be over before you have time to think about it.

If you are still worried about it then just think what could happen if you don`t have the test. The test may not be what you want to have done but in the end it is the lessor of two evils

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5