Just how low can this Government sink..

Stuartli 23:38 15 Aug 09

..judging by this story about those seeking employment?

click here

paddyjack 23:49 15 Aug 09

If you are really 'Lucky' they will persuade you to fill in all the necessary paperwork on the phone, then watch the pounds mount up, a £12 bill on my mobile for the privilege. Get to the Job Center and all the paperwork has to be done all over again.

A total rip off.

james55 23:51 15 Aug 09

Helps to go towards expenses :-)

dagnammit 23:56 15 Aug 09

Erm as much as I hate this government that article is rubbish. BT include 0845 in their free calls packages and they generally are between 5p and 7p per minute on other packages & providers.

BT payphones using coins costs 10p for 30.8 seconds (basically 20p per minute) according to their site.

Why can't the unemployed make their way to a jobcentre? I was unemployed twice for 3 and 6 months respectively and I never used the phone, I always went to the office in person.

Provided the calls are answered swiftly I see no reason not to have it as an 0845 number.

Stuartli 23:57 15 Aug 09

I wouldn't make such potentially lengthy calls on a mobile...:-)

WhiteTruckMan 23:58 15 Aug 09

Yes-MP's expenses! :-(

WTM

Stuartli 00:10 16 Aug 09

Only the most expensive BT calls package includes numbers with a 0845 or 0870 prefix being free at all times; seems to be the same with ISPs' packages.

Not much use in the evening or weekends, free or not, for phoning a Job Centre.

click here

dagnammit 00:21 16 Aug 09

£4.95 per month is expensive?

Mobiles charge 40 per minute; paddyjack paid £12 on his mobile, that's a months line rental with BT (£11.95) for prospective employers to call you back on.

Forum Editor 00:25 16 Aug 09

Revenue from the 0845 number goes towards the £870million it's costing to operate the call centres - money that comes directly from the taxpayer.

To suggest that call charge money from Jobseekers Direct goes towards MP's expenses is a little silly, to put it mildly.

dagnammit 00:29 16 Aug 09

Indeed. I have every sympathy with the unemployed, been there twice in my life and don't want to experience it again. Not once did I ever have to phone the job centre when I was unemployed. Called in, in person twice weekly.

Chegs ®™ 07:23 16 Aug 09

The latest system for claiming Jobseekers allowances requires you to phone them,try walking in and they direct you to the phones booths.Once you've phoned to start your claim,they send you the paperwork to complete & return.Then the Jobcentre calls you to go through these forms and check the details.Then its sit and wait until the paperwork is processed before they send out a booklet that you take to the jobcentre each fortnight to "sign-on"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…