Jumping the gun

dastardly mutt 11:09 09 Oct 09

isn't it? (Obama wins Peace prize)

click here
BBC link

jakimo 11:24 09 Oct 09

While I believe Obama is an improvement over Bush,I do not think he merits a peace award especially as he going to increase the number of troops in Afghanistan

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:12 09 Oct 09

He has done jolly well in Iraq and Afghanistan.

G

folsom 13:13 09 Oct 09

Well deserved IMHO

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:17 09 Oct 09

...oh, and I forgot, his handling of the Israeli and Palestine situation was a tour de force in completely and singular lack of understanding about the situation. He was not even on the same planet. /eyes raise.

So we have got to the stage where Nobel prizes are awarded for 'intention' rather than achievement...oh dearie, dearie me. 'I intend to donate my money to charity, help the homeless and help poor starving children all over the world' - many beauty queen contenders should have been awarded the Nobel Peace prize.

G

Quickbeam 15:45 09 Oct 09

I think maybe we should wait until his term in office is finished, we don't know if he'll start another contentious war during his time.

badgery 16:21 09 Oct 09

'...oh, and I forgot, his handling of the Israeli and Palestine situation was a tour de force in completely and singular lack of understanding about the situation. He was not even on the same planet.'

The ease with which you dismiss the understanding of the President (and all his advisors?), and accuse him of being out of touch with reality, is breathtaking. You may well be the self-appointed 'sage' of Speaker's Corner, but are we really to assume you are more aware of international politics and solutions than the elected American President? /eyes elevate, lower lip drops!

OTT_Buzzard 16:29 09 Oct 09

Nobel Prize for Physics, awarded for a discovery n 1966

Nobel Prize for Literatur, awarded to someone with a lifetime of writing

Nobel Prize Medicine, awarded for a discovery which I believe was made over 20 years ago.

What do they all have in common?
They have a all proven to have had an enduring effect on which other people have been able to build around, on a global scale.

Can anyone tell me what Obama has done to fall into this category? Either before or during his presidency?

GANDALF <|:-)> your beauty queen analogy seems to be spot on.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:31 09 Oct 09

'The three-way talks, held on Tuesday on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meeting in New York, yielded no signs of a breakthrough beyond a handshake between Binyamin Netanyahu, Israel's prime minister, and Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president, before the summit'...OK badegry, comment and award points then.

G

badgery 18:51 09 Oct 09

You don't explain why it was HIS being 'not on this planet' that it seemed only a handshake was achieved?
As you well know most diplomatic events are conducted 'under cover' until such time as an agreeable outcome is set to be acheived.
The 'situation' between Israel and Palestine has existed over a long period and is not going to be solved at a single meeting - so why accuse Obama of being 'lacking in understanding' and not being on the same planet?

I suggest he will be far more informed about the real situation there than you or I are ever likely to be.

OTT_Buzzard 18:55 09 Oct 09

You are absolutely right in what you are saying about Obama being more aprised than anyone on his work, and indeed about the work being conducted in secret.

But what on earth makes you think that the Nobel Prize committee is any better informed than you or I?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…