Jobsworth or what

Legolas 18:38 18 Mar 08

On Saturday East Fife won Scottish Footballs third division championship gaining promotion to the second division for next season, just as important to this wee club and its supporters as any trophy won by bigger clubs.

As part of their celebrations they gathered in the stand before a small band of their supporters and opened a couple of bottles of champagne spraying it around as I am sure we have all seen in these types of celebrations. At this the police present at the game stepped in and took away the champagne stating that it was illegal to have alcohol and glass bottles in a football stand.

Now as the letter of the law stands they were right but surely given the occasion they could have used their common sense and applied the spirit of the law rather than the letter.

A bit heavy handed in my opinion.

Legolas 18:58 18 Mar 08

Here is the full story click here

Grey Goo 19:28 18 Mar 08

They watch the game for free as well, perhaps they supported the opposing side.

g0nvs 20:09 18 Mar 08

The law is the law. Anyhow we all know booze & football fans don't mix.

Legolas 20:44 18 Mar 08

It was the team having a wee bit of a celebration after winning promotion hardly a drunken rabble. The law is the law but it can be applied with a modicum of common sense.

Sadly lacking in this instance

paul€ 21:02 18 Mar 08

Lewis Hamilton was consuming it on Sunday after his drive, will he be done for drinking and driving;-)

Of course it's jobsworth.

mikef. 21:25 18 Mar 08

It's no wonder that a lot of people hold certain police with contempt these days

bluto1 21:42 18 Mar 08

To me that was a stupid intervention and spoiled a wonderful moment for the club.
However , if I'm right the police won't even apologise for it. Bloomin' shame.

Jak_1 21:12 19 Mar 08

"The law is the law. Anyhow we all know booze & football fans don't mix."

Thats a rather sweeping statement, and very absurd! That is akin to saying all youngsters are binge drinkers when clearly they are not. It's the minority that causes problems for the majority and that can happen at any sporting event where large crowds gather.
So are you saying it's wrong for me to have a couple of pints pre match when I go to Eastlands or any other football ground? Most football grounds have bars that are open up to kick off and again at half time and at full time. I rarely see trouble caused through alcohol these days.

Grey Goo 21:49 19 Mar 08

They just do it because they can.

Legolas 12:52 20 Mar 08

?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5