Jerusalem?????

jakimo 17:40 05 Oct 10

England's Fran Halsall wins our first gold medal,

up goes St George's Cross...followed by an elongated version of 'Jerusalem',whats going on?

What happened to Land of Hope and Glory?

caccy 17:46 05 Oct 10

About 52% of a survey of 1000 people voted for it that's why!!

hssutton 17:48 05 Oct 10

Nothing wrong with Jerusalem, which was voted for by the English competitors.

The problem is the Grimesthorpe Bands version which sounds like a dirge. A total embarrassment IMO

caccy 17:48 05 Oct 10

Finger too quick.
"About 52% of a survey of 1000 people voted for Jerusalem that's why!! "

jakimo 18:32 05 Oct 10

Fran Halsall,and the studio presenters and me certainly didn't like it (dirge a good description)

Bingalau 18:38 05 Oct 10

Maybe it's because you don't know the words, it seems some of the athletes don't know them either, perhaps they aren't taught in school these days. I think it is a marvellous anthem, not as good as "Land Of Hope And Glory" of course. But it certainly is not a dirge.

"God Save Our Gracious Queen" is a Dirge, with a capital "D".

Forum Editor 18:39 05 Oct 10

among members of the public, who were asked to choose between

God Save the Queen

Jerusalem

Land of hope and Glory

Jerusalem is said to have one of the most emotionally-stirring and patriotic verses ever written for music:-

"Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land."

Not bad, you have to admit.

hssutton 19:10 05 Oct 10

I know the words and love the Hymn,it's my favourite, but the Grimethopes rendition sounds like a dirge

morddwyd 20:14 05 Oct 10

As I inadvertently posted elsewhere, nothing to do with me, but I would have thought something like Greensleeves was more quintessentially English.

I'm also surprised the PC brigade did not condemn Jerusalem and the "Holy Lamb of God" as being offensive to Muslims!

Quickbeam 22:02 05 Oct 10

Anything is better than the dreadful dirge that we have as a national anthem, even the story of Uncle tom Cobley and all... and all.

Does anyone know where I can get the sheet music for it for bass? I've been trying for a while to find it.

Quickbeam 22:03 05 Oct 10

Jerusalem that is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…