Jeremy Paxman to quit Newsnight

john bunyan 14:31 01 May 14
Answered

I know that there is some antipathy on the forums towards the Daily Mail. I still find their Quentin Letts to be an amusing and clever journalist - his description of Parliament today is brilliant, and his theatre reviews are good. Today I thought his headline on J Paxman's decision to leave Newsnight is brilliant "So long, Paxo - and thanks for all the stuffings you gave our lying leaders" was amusing.

Q Letts

I imagine John Humphreys will not want to go there, so it will be interesting to see who will take over as resident Rottweiler.

rickf 15:23 01 May 14

I will miss him on Newsnightactually and his acerbic remarks if that is the word.

fourm member 16:46 01 May 14

Paxman, to his credit, has railed against moves to make Newsnight an entertainment programme but the reality is he contributed to that by not bothering to listen to the answers he is given.

He also has to take some of the blame for the way Newsnight books people who will give a good knockabout rather than people who know something about the subject.

Within the past week they had a discussion about the fall in violent crime but didn't bother to have any criminologist on who might have been able to talk sensibly about what has happened.

Current affairs are far too important to be dealt with by Newsnight.

carver 17:28 01 May 14

He is really one person we should not be without, the way he tries to get politicians to actually answer a question is brilliant.

Must be nice to have a saying named after you, "to be paxoed"

fourm member 08:33 02 May 14

I just read the Radio Times interview with Ian Katz, the editor of Newsnight.

In it he talks about how important Paxman is to the programme.

That makes me wonder about the timing of Paxman's announcement. Is he trying to say something about how the programme is being run?

spuds 09:08 02 May 14
Answer

"Is he trying to say something about how the programme is being run?"

I think that Jeremy Paxman made it clear about his feeling towards how the BBC is being run, quite some time ago. It was and as been well published in various media reports!.

It also looks like he is going in for more documentary type of programmes, including book follow ups. So perhaps this is now his opportunity to live a more relaxed life?.

Quiller. 12:21 02 May 14

The question is what is he going to do now?

Stand as a MP in the 2015 elections.

Contest Boris for London if Boris doesn't replace Cameron in the future.

????????????

Aitchbee 13:07 02 May 14

" The question is what is he going to do now?

Stand as a MP in the 2015 elections. "

Not likely ... Jeremy would end up 'grilling' HIMSELF!

jillstarr 23:08 18 May 14

**Dear Jeremy,

If you leave, Newsnight, you made a wise decision as your life was in grave danger from all other round table knights ad Irv Start said they all have s black knife yo your back for not taking Irv Starr BBC manager boss bribes yo look the other way on , Savile etc..

I have s much more priority assignment saving the entire planet from human Irv Statr terrorism and possibly full EXTINCTION!

WE NEED TO TALK ASAP**

jillstarr 23:08 18 May 14

zip 07403 usa

Flak999 23:14 18 May 14

Tin foil hat alert!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…