japanese knotweed

sunnystaines 12:19 28 Aug 12

I know about the rules on disposal and the destruction it causes.

the suveyor on a house we are buying has found it. I have asked the owner to get rid of it and forward a guarentee.

any advice or tips please anyone been in this scenario before.

wee eddie 13:02 28 Aug 12

Don't buy that house. Forget it

wiz-king 13:19 28 Aug 12

It's very difficult to get rid off, if its in a lawn mowing will weaken it and then treating the new growth with glyphosate may do the job. Otherwise you will need to inject each stem with glyphosate weedkiller.

Woolwell 13:19 28 Aug 12

Agree with wee eddie. You may find that if you require a mortgage then it could be difficult to get one and selling later could be quite a problem. RICS

Forum Editor 13:20 28 Aug 12

"I have asked the owner to get rid of it and forward a guarentee."

Good luck with the guarantee. I may be wrong, but I doubt if you'll get one.

Japanese knotweed is best eradicated with a combination of a chemical herbicide and digging. Even then there's no guarantee it will not return, and the herbicide treatment will have to be applied for at least three years running.

The best time for that treatment is right now, in late summer, and must be done by a contractor who has a National Proficiency Tests Council (NPTC) certification. If there is a watercourse anywhere near the site the local authority must give its consent to the use of a herbicide.

In addition, any knotweed waste material must be disposed of by a contractor approved by the local authority, and disposal must take place at a location specified by the council. You can dispose of the waste yourself by burning it on-site. You don't need a formal consent for this, but it's a good idea to notify the local authority as a matter of courtesy.

It's worth remembering that you, the landowner will be liable if the weed gets out of control and infests any public land. Japanese knotweed is listed on Schedule 9, Part II of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 making it an offence Under Section 14 (2) (a) of the Act to “plant or otherwise cause Japanese knotweed to grow in the wild”.

QuizMan 13:22 28 Aug 12

Lethal stuff. The trouble is, it is also quite pretty in its own way. But don't be fooled, it is very hard to eradicate and can damage foundations and drains if left untreated.

Whilst I have no direct experience, I have seen enough evidence over the years to have grave concerns. If the current owner is going to deal with it you need to establish how. It really needs professional attention. Even with a guarantee you are going to need ongoing surveys to establish the problem has been resolved and who pays for that? Mortgage lenders are wary of it these days and may refuse to lend. Whilst that may not be relevant to you now (I don't know your personal circumstances) it may affect a later re-sale.

Forum Editor 13:37 28 Aug 12

Mortgage lenders have their individual policies, but most of them don't refuse to lend as long as they are satisfied that a plan is in place to remedy the problem.

Provided you can show evidence to support your claim that the vendor is going to deal with the weed in a proper manner there shouldn't be a problem - talk to your lender. The vendor obviously has a vested interest in resolving the knotweed problem to your satisfaction, so you shouldn't have any trouble in getting a written assurance that work is in hand. You might want to talk to your solicitor about the future, as you will be the one faced with a problem if the weed regrows after treatment.

interzone55 13:59 28 Aug 12

I think anything short of a nuclear device is unlikely to guarantee the removal of this plant.

My ex-wife used to work at a school that spent thousands to rid them of an infestation where they wanted to build a new sports hall. It grew back and even managed to punch through a concrete wall

Forum Editor 14:37 28 Aug 12

"It grew back and even managed to punch through a concrete wall

It's not true that knotweed can do this. It can force its way through existing cracks in masonry walls however, and that is what has given rise to the myth.

sunnystaines 14:38 28 Aug 12

thankyou for all the helpful advice. the place is on the river side so strong herbiecide may be out. there is a meadow opposite so worried it may be there or in other nearby homes too and come back.

pondering what to do now.

lotvic 22:46 28 Aug 12

"pondering what to do now"

see wee eddie's post at at 1:02PM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…