Is J K Rowling wasting £1 million?

john bunyan 12:15 12 Jun 14
Answered

I wonder if this gesture will generate more help for the "Yes" than the "No" campaign - already the knives are out from the "English haters"....

£1 million

fourm member 12:48 12 Jun 14

I fully accept that those idiots who took to social media to make obscene comments about Rowling are a tiny minority but I wasn't aware of any similar reaction when the Weirs took on 80% of the funding for the Yes campaign.

There were newspaper articles criticising their naivety but nothing like the Twitter abuse that Rowling got, yesterday.

To all those who bleat about support for the union driving people towards 'yes' I'd say that, minority though they be, seeing the true nature of some of the extreme nationalists is likely to make some people decide that they'd rather things stay as they are.

spider9 17:01 12 Jun 14

fourm member

"....seeing the true nature of some of the extreme nationalists is likely to make some people decide that they'd rather things stay as they are."

..and with England having the likes of BNP and EDL, and UKIP (although a minority as well, of course!!) then perhaps your argument might be reversed as a good reason for 'Yes'??

MechKB2 "Que sera sera"

Very succinct!

fourm member 18:07 12 Jun 14

Jock1e

'I don't think they will care if slightly worse or better off will come into it.'

Happily, you are completely wrong about that.

All the sampling suggests that as little as £500 better off to £500 worse off would be enough to sway the vote for a fair number of people.

The economic case for independence has been shown to be based on ridiculous assumptions and there is clear agreement that there will be costs to setting up an independent Scotland. Enough people will be put off by those costs to ensure there is a 'No' vote.

It's worth reading what Rowling had to say about her donation. She's very balanced and fair and one of her points is that 'Salmond’s ambition is outstripping his reach'

fourm member 18:20 12 Jun 14

spider9

'..and with England having the likes of BNP and EDL, and UKIP (although a minority as well, of course!!) then perhaps your argument might be reversed as a good reason for 'Yes'??'

Clutching at straws somewhat.

When I last checked, there was free movement from Northumberland into Scotland so there is no barrier to the BNP etc. If those organisations were going to make progress in Scotland they would have done it by now.

Rowling argues that there is a lack of reality about the issues involved in forming a new country. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how I am supposed to go to a foreign country to do my supermarket shopping. And I still don't know how the cost of a stamp can be kept the same when EU rules say the cost would have to be the same for a letter from Scotland to France as it would be for Scotland to England.

I'm also still waiting for Salmond to condemn the attacks made on Rowling and distance himself from the extreme nationalists who were responsible for them.

john bunyan 19:18 12 Jun 14

Jock 1e

Of course not all "yes" voters are "English haters". However that Nicola Sturgeon comes across as one, for sure. I favour devolution including more control over taxation etc,and I understand the resentment some have for the "Posh boys" at Westminster, but that is a temporary situation - the UK has had Scots PM's.

My main concern is in the military and intelligence areas where our Armed Forces and Intelligence (MI5, MI6 and GCHQ) communities are, for sure "Better Together", as is the BBC, Met Office and a range of other things.

I will be sad if the vote is for a split.

morddwyd 19:20 12 Jun 14

"I only only ever heard of a luke warm condemnation by the leadership."

Then I suggest you fire up iPlayer and have a look at FMQs today.

spider9 19:20 12 Jun 14

"... I'm still waiting for someone to explain how I am supposed to go to a foreign country to do my supermarket shopping"

At the risk of seeming flippant, you could always move to that foreign country if your supermarket shop is so vital to your existence!!

For many people I think it's a matter of being a sovereign nation, in control of it's own affairs. Scots have always been in the forefront of education, engineering, even politics - so why shouldn't they be able to make a go of independence? Good luck to them if that's what they decide.

I sometimes get the feeling that if politicians want them to stay, then there must be something in it for them - or is that just too cynical?

As for "'Salmond’s ambition is outstripping his reach'", there is no reason, after independence, that Salmond will be in the governing party - there will be an election, remember? The people will get who they wish for.

john bunyan 19:30 12 Jun 14

If the vote is "No" , will Salmond et al resign? Or will he hang on, like Blatter?

"For many people I think it's a matter of being a sovereign nation, in control of it's own affairs. Scots have always been in the forefront of education, engineering, even politics"

I fully agree - and we need them in the UK.

morddwyd 19:32 12 Jun 14

"Of course not all "yes" voters are "English haters". However that Nicola Sturgeon comes across as one, for sure."

A bit unfair. She is not just a "yes" voter, but a long term member of the SNP whose whole raison d'etre is a break with England.

Had you seen my local news tonight you would have seen English people vowing to vote "Yes".

The trouble is that there is, as in this thread, far too much emphasis on whether Scotland would be "better off" rather than just"better". It's shouldn't be just about money.

When the Irish set up their own state they didn't prat around with currency and defence, they just went ahead and did it (though their "punt" did keep parity with sterling for decades). They might not be "better off" but I doubt if any of them regret that decision.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:39 12 Jun 14

I think J K Rowling's spending will very soon be forgotten and have little or no influence on the final vote.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…