I've just failed my MOT because

Bingalau 16:49 23 Nov 07

Three of my four indicator side repeater lights are incorrect colour. I've looked at them until I am blue in the face but they look the correct colour to me. Does anyone know how they judge the colour to be correct. I think they are being a bit picky. I know I can appeal but is it worth it?

Forum Editor 17:10 23 Nov 07

Must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Sometimes the repeater is part of the wraparound front light unit, and that's OK.

The requirement under the MOT rules is that repeaters must emit an amber light.

TopCat® 17:19 23 Nov 07

The repeater lenses, and others, tend to fade over time; by this it usually means a number of years. The result is a slow fade-out towards a clear lens. Have you checked them by night?

Could be, in the tester's opinion, the illumination amber colour has deteriorated enough to be too bright or has, visually altered considerably from the correct colour.

Why not get a second opinion from a government test station, if you have one near to you? TC.

spuds 17:20 23 Nov 07

Colour blind MOT examiner perhaps ;0)

sunny staines 17:23 23 Nov 07

ask him to point out the difference between yours and a legal one.I thought it was only the amount of times it flashed in a minute that counted providing it was amberish and no broken glass.

spuds 17:27 23 Nov 07

Bit like the enclosed headlight units with condensation. Take an MOT test with condensation on the lenses and the vehicle will fail. Dry out the condensation before taking the test and you will have a possible pass. All to do with the examination and the results at the time of the test.

Chris the Ancient 17:51 23 Nov 07

A lot of indicators use plain bulbs coated with a transparent amber varnish. These are the ones with an (apparently) clear cover lens. If there are signs of that varnish having burnt off, faded or deteriorated in any way, a very rigorous tester will fail them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 23 Nov 07

I too have had a car fail because the indicators were not amber enough.

Bingalau 19:01 23 Nov 07

If I knew where there was a government test station and if they came up with a different result I don't think it would make any difference to me getting my MOT certificate, without getting the faults rectified. So that would be more money down the pan. I've just been out and tested them (Repeaters and indicator lights) in the dark in my pathway and they look more amber than some traffic lights I have seen. What happens if you have a very old car which still has the old semaphore type signals? Mind you I suppose they come under different rules.

spuds 20:37 23 Nov 07

"old semaphore type signals". Now thats going back a little. The advantage there is no road tax (exempt) and its a possible super well looked after classic ;o)

Bingalau. A possible reminder, some MOT station do a free re-test (might be time limited), other do not. Around my way, that can cost another £25?£40 if they do not.

Shortstop 20:52 23 Nov 07

My MK1 Mondeo with clear front lenses failed its last test due to my front indicators not being "amber enough" & I, too, wondered what the tester judged them against. I left the car at the MOT station and the keys with the garage, popped down to Halfords, got new indicator bulbs & fitted them myself. As the car had not left the MOT premises it was just a case of issuing an MOT immediately - no retest and no fee.

Strange thing though. I'll be darned if I can see any difference at all in the orange glow the new bulbs have when compared to the old ones [and yes, I have put the old ones back in for curiousity/testing!].

BR

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…