I've just *built* this computer and.......

Mango Grummit 14:16 20 Dec 04

I've just *built* this computer and it does not work.

Actually, and in all truth, what I have done is assemble a few bits n bobs out of a box or two, tried to understand some airy-fairy instructions and advice from *someone who knows about these thing* but it's all gone wrong -- I don't know why -- please help.

----------------------------

If there were to be a Helproom Thread Of The Year Award I would vote first place for the above type of thread.

Second -- Windows Me is rubbish.

Third -- Windows Me was rubbish but I can't get XP to work either.

-------------------------------

Anyone got some other ideas?

Dorsai 15:53 20 Dec 04

I thought it was win98 that was the rubbish one, and trather liked ME. But i have Xp now, and have to admit that it is far better than ME ever was.

Rather than BSOD daily I get it monthly, if at all.

As for the PC you have tried to build, there is no real surprise it did not work, if it was a random collection of bits. But them mine was such a random selection, and it works fine. ;-)

Diemmess 17:11 20 Dec 04

Like Dorsai, mine always work...... for a little while!........ My inspired ideas nearly all go belly up, after piling hardware and software in to "improve" it.

My basic failing is failure to grasp that however clever I think I am, the new machine will always have something special lying in wait for me, which I should have forseen but didn't.

Belatucadrus 17:26 20 Dec 04

February PCA has a good article on home building. As to why your Bitser ME doesn't work, no idea:- dead memory, knackered CPU, fried MOBO, could be anything. First suggestion though get a hold of the motherboard manual and read it, it could just be down to some insignificant jumper switch being in the wrong place.

Mango Grummit 19:15 20 Dec 04

Oh dear. Guess I shouldn't try to be funny or controversial!

carolineann 19:40 20 Dec 04

I agree also

"Have I got a Trojan ".

It's Me 20:01 20 Dec 04

Just shows what happens when your post is not properly read. :))

leo49 20:41 20 Dec 04

Hi Mango - you ought to know by now that some of the knives in the box are sharper than others......:o)

Happy Christmas to you and Mrs M.

Belatucadrus 20:51 20 Dec 04

OK so I didn't read it properly and as to the knives, they're plenty sharp enough, I just resist the temptation to stick them in people. Though people that post questions then vanish never to be seen again have received a few verbal cuts and swipes.

Dan the Confused 22:13 20 Dec 04

Have you tried Ad-aware and Spybot?

kev.Ifty 22:29 20 Dec 04

Or a "Reformat" ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…